• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eggs & Ice Cream

jburnie

I use egg substitute when making ice cream for others. I personally am not afraid of fresh eggs.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

I'm not afraid of eggs, but I generally prefer ice creams made without them. Custard bases tend to be too heavy and mouth-coating for me.

MelissaH

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

If I'm using eggs, I generally use fresh eggs. Sometimes I go with pasteurized yolks if I need large amounts but that's mainly for convenience and not having a ton of leftover whites to deal with. Some flavors benefit (in my opinion) from not having the egg flavor present. What I use instead varies. Guar gum, locust bean gum, corn starch, carrageenan, gellan and gelatin have all made appearances in ice creams I've made.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.