• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Peppadews - Newest addiction

This was a new name for me - had to google. Here is the wiki link to save others the time http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppadew

How would you describe the flavor? I read some online posts but am still curious.

I like them because they have a sweet sour flavor from the pickling and then the heat catches you on the tail end. I just read the wiki that they are processed for reduction of the seeds to more pleasant levels in the wiki. I think they have a nice zingy tangy note.

I really like them, but I too just eat them straight up. My real addiction lately is feta stuffed red jalapenos that I buy at costco.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I stuff them with goat cheese or blue cheese for appetizers.

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal

I chop them up with tomatoes, red onion, cucumber and coriander and stuff into pita bread with pan fried halloumi - and as per post before this, I stuff them with feta

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

• 2 years later...

I grew some peppers from seed labeled as peppadew, which I understand is a Malawi pepper.

While seeding them under running water...wearing gloves...the heat was so intense that my eyes watered and I coughed uncontrollably.  Had to quit.

Holy shit.

Will the pickling process tame this, or did I grow a bunch of monsters?

Removing the seeds and the placenta will make a difference in the heat but the pickling process itself  won't do much to tame them.

What you have is quite a bit different than the trademarked PeppaDews.

• Like 1

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Where I lived before I moved back to KC, a store briefly had them in an olive bar and I really liked them.  I had not had any for about three years since that store discontinued the olive bar and then I moved.  Recently a store near me started an olive bar and I tried some of theirs.  They were not as good as I remembered from before.

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)

I am really surprised that they are not more available in the US. Peppadews are freely available in all main South African supermarkets and I remember trying my first ones about 30 years ago. They make them in "mild" and "hot". They originate from the old South African province of the Transvaal, which was broken up into smaller regions in the mid 1990's and is now called Limpopo Province. It is a registered name. They also make a number of other pepper (chilli) products and pickled onions, all under the Peppadew trade name.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

They're stocked by the grocery store I frequent the most...jarred (sweet, hot and salsa) and in bulk.

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Okay I bought a jar at Wegmans... Giant of Pa and Acme do not have them (so you dont waste time) I went to the Asian mkt today cause Im making Jal Jeera and Rojak Buah Petis and I bought a fried whole mackerel so these peppadews cut the oiliness of the fish perfectly on the side...

So good....Perfect in every way. Can t wait for my son to ask for a samich so I can put some of them on his plate.

They are like a combo of the sweet peppers and hot pepper rings they put on hoagies in the Philly area.

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

Yeah, Wegman's is the store I was talking about.

I agree with Shelby the skins on the ones I get can be tough.

I like to take a good chiabatta roll and slice it.  Lightly toast.

Warm some smoked ham and sweet capicola  in the microwave.

Spread some Cain's mayo on one side of the roll; cranberry honey mustard on the other.

Lay the ham on one side of the roll; capi on the other.

Thinly slice the peppadews and scatter over each side.

Top with some thinly sliced Finlandia lacey swiss and pop under the broiler with the cheese melts.

Put both sides together and serve with some good coleslaw (my current favorite is Mr. B's from the Acme in Wildwood Crest)

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm surprised I did not see this thread when it first appeared.

I have been buying Peppadews from iGourmet since they began carrying them in 2008.  (Still have the copy of my order of May 8, 2008, cheesses, pickled hungarian goathorn peppers,  peppadew peppers, mostarda di Fichi, Grandma Jones' Pepper Jam...

I love them stuffed with cheese - and run under the broiler for about 15 seconds (works on a raclette too). 

Also in sandwiches, extremely tasty with game meats, hearty cheeses, artisan breads with some "character" and chopped and mixed into pasta salads.  Or chopped and sprinkled over the top of pasta in cream sauces - no meat.

And they are wonderful when chopped or sliced and added to FRUIT salads.   I also add them to Waldorf salad - and my version with chicken. 

I did not care for the Trader Joe's either. 

The first time I tried them was from the deli counter at Bristol Farms market.  "Deli counter" is sort of a misnomer because any relation to a regular deli is only marginal.  Bristol Farms is decidely upscale and their "ready to eat" food presentation and variety is stupendous. 

I remember having one of the peppers to taste and was so enthusiastic I bought a pound, which was a lot of peppers as they are not heavy. 

I think I finished the carton within a few days and went back for more.  They had to be used up quickly because they don't keep when not in the pickling liquid.

So I was thrilled to find the jarred ones online. 

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I saw Peppadews in my nearby liquor store and had to buy some since I'd never had one before.

Zowee those were so good!  So far I've only eaten them out of hand but I intend to drop one into my next martini and also I think I'll dice up a couple and add them to my cucumber salads. 

• Like 2