• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What makes for a pretty plate?

Simeon

What would you say are all of the elements that combined make for a beautiful plate presentation? And what makes for current trends in presentation within the fine dining establishments of the world? I know that the presentation needs to make the food easy to eat with a fork and knife. It needs to be colorful. It generally needs to look delicious. And it seems there truly needs to be an artistic flare. Some people speak of dimensionality like height. I wish to know what exactly is going on in the mind of a great chef when he/she is plating. What do you think?

Cooking is like circus acts.

High wire walks, flying trapeze, juggling, ---------- all very impressive.

But Circ Du Soleil transformed everyday circus acts to high art form.

That’s what good plating can do to food.

dcarch

Edited by dcarch (log)

I'm more concerned about what makes an appetizing plate. Sometimes I get plates that don't really entice me to eat.

I am with you on this. A plate that draws me in and has the fork in my hand and my face forward is what I find attractive. Sometimes it is the sheer decadence of the items combined with how they are arranged. Wow hard to verbalize - you know it when it hits you. I think one must also consider the olfactory aspect along with the visual. If an enticing aroma hits me combined with a beautiful array or even a comforting looking arrangement - that is when I want to dive in.

I'm more concerned about what makes an appetizing plate. Sometimes I get plates that don't really entice me to eat.

I may be mistaken, but I think the OP's intention is to talk about what happens after you make the food delicious.

dcarch