• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brasserie Zedel - cheap as frites.

Very nice lunch here on Sunday with the family.

Surely more of you have been here. David has reviewed it on his blog far better than I could, and it was this that prompted me to try it.

I had been to the Atlantic Bar & Grill many years ago - maybe 20 - and remember being charged 15 quid for a whisky and ameretto and bottle of beer. That price would have got me the three course prix fixe and a glass of house red in its new guise.

Some of the dishes I thought were fantastic - the soupe de poisson, the soup of the day (which was a delicously creamy and sweet white onion), and the steak hache on the prix fixe. But everything was full of flavour and enjoyed by all.

In all we had a couple of bowls of the soup of the day - which must have been good if my kids finished them off - a couple of baskets of decent baguette and unsalted butter, the three course prix fixe, a soupe de poisson, confit du canard, profiteroles and the chocolate liegois a bottle of water and a glass of house red. The two deserts having their hot-chocolate sauce poured over at the table, which I am sure my 8 year old will remember for the rest of her life.

Service was informal but prompt and friendly and we were all very happy there for a couple of hours.

£49 including service....what a bargain. £2.25 for that white onion soup! I mean...really!

I sent my mum and dad there with friends for a post theatre meal recently as I have heard good things about it. She said the atmosphere was excellent, bustling and lively even at 11pm still and spoke very highly of the fish soup and a seabream main course she had served with fennel and sauce vierge. Sounds like a good spot for pre/post theatre dining

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I popped in last week. The food's unbelievable considering the price and I wish them well, apparently they have a massive hill to climb each day; am sure I read somewhere they've got to turn every table three times before they cover costs. Still, at those prices, in that room and the typically strong Corbin & King service it deserves to succeed. I can't think of another London experience that delivers so much for so little money.

I popped in last week. The food's unbelievable considering the price and I wish them well, apparently they have a massive hill to climb each day; am sure I read somewhere they've got to turn every table three times before they cover costs.

This is interesting...I didn't get the impression we were crammed in at all...it still felt like there was plenty of space in that room.