• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doughnut rant

Warning: I am about to attack a local small business while praising a huge national chain. Cover your ears if necessary.

Yesterday I had a delightful shop at Whole Foods. I got there around lunchtime and had one of their chicken cheesesteak sandwiches. They make their sandwiches like I would make at home, only better. This is chopped organic chicken sauteed with onions, roasted peppers, and worcestershire sauce, then tossed with cheddar cheese and served on toasted ciabatta with Mama Lil's great pickled peppers (is there anybody who doesn't like these things or anything they don't improve)? It's a huge, filling, and tasty sandwich for $6.49. You can also get it with beef. It's the type of sandwich Subway pretends they serve.

While I was waiting for my sandwich, I saw something out of the corner of my eye. It was a table full of delicious-looking doughnuts in assorted flavors. A woman was cutting them into quarters. Free doughnut samples! I selected a chocolate-glazed chocolate cake doughnut and took an eager bite.

It was a horrible blend of off flavors with nothing chocolatey or doughnutty about it. Even the texture was bad--crumbly and dry. I looked at the sign: MIGHTY-O DONUTS. In small print: (organic, vegan). They're made with shortening, soy flour, and canola oil.

It's an interesting experiment: can you make something that looks like a doughnut without any milk, eggs, or butter? No question about it. It'll taste like crap, but it sure looks good. Somewhere I just know some evil genius is working on a vegan doughnut that's also wheat-, sugar-, and fat-free.

Hey, here's an idea: if you don't want to eat eggs or dairy products, don't eat doughnuts. That way I won't accidentally pick up an ersatz one that almost puts me off my lunch.

To end on a positive note, the selection of real doughnuts at Top Pot keeps getting bigger and better. I'm teaching again next quarter, and if there's a better place to grade papers than at a Top Pot table with a chocolate cruller and a single espresso, I've never found it.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

This reminds me of a new "bakery" in the U-dist that opened up about a year ago near my old place over there. I walked in thinking it was some cool little bakery, but guess what? Wheatless, Eggless, Milkless, Sugarless stuff everywhere! Mmmmmm sprouted algae cake! I guess there is a market for this "food" though.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Mmmmm.... Top Pot. Is there anything better than a few of those babies and a massive cup o' joe?

I study there a lot, I'll probably see you muchly next quarter. I'll be the stressed out looking medical student. However, if we don't actually meet in the joint, I'll recognize you by the alarming stench of doughnut lard on every thread of your clothes.

I'm sorry, but some nights in there it gets downright nasty. They need a better venting system - I had a film on my glasses, I kid you not.

However, the end product is delightful, isn't it?

This reminds me of a new "bakery" in the U-dist that opened up about a year ago near my old place over there.  I walked in thinking it was some cool little bakery, but guess what?  Wheatless, Eggless, Milkless, Sugarless stuff everywhere!  Mmmmmm sprouted algae cake!

Yes, these two vegetarian friends of mine (who know my leanings quite well) raved about the bakery of which you speak, and often tell me about the vegan, flavorless places they have found. That's all fine and good -- I'll take it as a warning rather than a recommendation -- but they seem to think I'm gonna be so excited that I'll jump in the car and zoom right over there! :blink:

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

mmm, donuts...

I've always been a big fan of this combination of American foods' holy trinity: white flour, white sugar, and animal fat (sadly nowadays most donuts are fried in some kind of industrial vegetable shortening).

One of my favorite spots is Joe's Donuts in Sandy, Oregon, conveniently located on the highway so you can stop on the way to Mt Hood. Just this Saturday I picked up an enormous apple fritter (and a simple unglazed buttermilk bar...for me, that's constraint) and ate half on the way to slopes. I love the cold leftover waiting for me when I climb back into the car, tired and hungry from skiing.

Even better, we got our tree this year at a small farm just outside of Tualatin (Lee's, on the road that goes past Meridian Park hospital). We went not because the trees were anything special, but because Michael at Ripe told me they have a donut machine and make fresh apple cider donuts. He said they're the best he's had since New England, and while I can't make the same comparison, they were good. Smallish, but only 50 cents each (or 5 for $2...I got 10), sprinkled with plain sugar, and best eaten hot.

very Homeresque.

Jim

ps...rumor has it that Ripe will soon appear in the NYT. I wrote about them in the WW Restaurant Guide, and the story is

here.

Edited by Jim Dixon (log)

olive oil + salt

Real Good Food

However, if we don't actually meet in the joint, I'll recognize you by the alarming stench of doughnut lard on every thread of your clothes.

A couple of weeks ago when I got home from work, I hung my coat next to Matthew's and exclaimed, "Your coat smells like doughnuts!" Good thing he's not trying to lead a secret life.

I went down to Top Pot this morning and wrote some Christmas cards while nibbling on a raspberry-glazed cake doughnut (they didn't have my usual, the strawberry-glazed cruller). It was quite delicious.

As I was leaving I stopped to use the restroom, and when I emerged my seat had been taken by a woman reading M. F. K. Fisher. Wasn't LainerX by any chance, was it?

Hungry Monkey May 2009

We dont have Top Pot on the East coast. We have Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Kreme.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

No, Laurie, that was not LainerX in your seat. But I wish it had been. I've been power-cleaning my apartment all day.

And, yes, it's true. The last Dunkin' Donuts was located on MLK in Renton, and it is now gone. No more DD in Washington state. :sad: I will miss their "crack coffee" as we used to call it. If you had it at 3pm one day, you required it at 3pm the next.

And the nice guy who would always throw in an extra one "because I was cute". :wub:

They have raspberry glazed now? Holy crow!

On the night of the doughnut-infused jacket, I had a meeting at Top Pot; the guy I was meeting came in and said, "Are they frying fish in here or what?"

This is why I usually go between 7 and 8am.

We dont have Top Pot on the East coast. We have Dunkin' Donuts and Krispy Kreme.

Top Pot is a one off, a local thing.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

To end on a positive note, the selection of real doughnuts at Top Pot keeps getting bigger and better.  I'm teaching again next quarter, and if there's a better place to grade papers than at a Top Pot table with a chocolate cruller and a single espresso, I've never found it.

What is the deal with Top Pot ? After hearing everyone rave about it, I went and picked up a box of doughnuts ("For my co-workers" I told myself). It may be because I'm an ignorant foreigner who knows nothing about real doughnuts, but I found them to be awful - dry, cakey and with not a lot of flavour. My SO agreed, but she's and I come from the same place so that may not be valid.

It's probably a good thing we didn't like them, because Top Pot is 2 minutes from where we live, whereas Krispy Kreme (whose doughnuts we love) is practically in another state :shock:.

- S

P.S. Merry Xmas to those of you who celebrate

My husband doesn't like Top Pot donuts because they're very heavy and oily (nice way to say greasy). I just had one about half an hour ago, and it was quite moist and flavorful. I must say that sometimes you can get one that has been sitting around too long and is bordering on stale, but in general I think they're delicious.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

People, why violence in streets! Donut is love!

Just kidding. The Top Pot donuts are kind of greasy. I don't mind that, and they're definitely the best within walking distance of my house--the quality and variety blows the supermarkets away. Like I said, the best time to go is first thing in the morning; I had one once at night despite my better judgment, and it tasted like a donut that had sat around all day.

I can't decide whether it's "doughnut" or "donut". "Donut" is easier to type but I sort of feel like I'm saying "lite" or "E-Z".

It's an interesting experiment:  can you make something that looks like a doughnut without any milk, eggs, or butter?  No question about it.  It'll taste like crap, but it sure looks good.  Somewhere I just know some evil genius is working on a vegan doughnut that's also wheat-, sugar-, and fat-free.

Hey, here's an idea:  if you don't want to eat eggs or dairy products, don't eat doughnuts.  That way I won't accidentally pick up an ersatz one that almost puts me off my lunch.

Given that the whole vegan/vegetarian food industry goes to incredible lengths to create fake meat products out of soy and lentils, isn't the eventual appearance of fake doughnuts pretty much a given? Frankly the whole thing just sends me fleeing (I will admit that I voluntarily eat veggie-burgers at times. :smile:)

In my experience, Seattle is a doghnut wasteland compared to the east coast, although I haven't tried Top Pot. Mamster, maybe we could meet there for a power grading session at some point this term.....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Most likely the entire west coast is doughbut/donut wasteland...

Maybe, but donuts will surely give you a "doughbut" if you eat too many. :laugh:

By the way, I did see a Dunkin Donuts in Portland this week, so they haven't entirely forsaken the Northwest.

Oh, and I had some really good, fresh donuts at a place called "Rockin' Roger's" in Salem. They're a combo burger joint and donut bakery. Meal consisted of a 1/3 lb burger topped with ham, bacon, fried egg, cheese and condiments with a side of onion rings, followed by one glazed and one custard filled donut. I felt bad but it was good. :unsure:

Most likely the entire west coast is doughbut/donut wasteland (and getting worse as Krispy Kreme raises it's poofy, too-sweet head), but that place in the market that makes those mini-donuts with that antique machine is still pretty cool.

Jim

I totally agree, I love the deluxe ones with the chocolate and sprinkles....mmmm tiny doughnuts.

Ben

Gimme what cha got for a pork chop!

-Freakmaster

I have two words for America... Meat Crust.

-Mario

Meal consisted of a 1/3 lb burger topped with ham, bacon, fried egg, cheese and condiments . . .

We call that the Gooooood Morning Burger.

Now *that* is the Breakfast of Champions! Note to self: forget the yoghurt and half a banana routine come Jan. 1. Eat this, and you will conquer the world. And whip your weight in wildcats. And every week, your weight will equal one new wildcat!

A fried egg???????!!

Sigh. Life is so cruel!

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

• 1 month later...

I had my first experience with Top Pot donuts today and was impressed. In my opinion, definately the best I've had in Seattle. I much prefer the 'cakey' style of their donuts to the more airy style of KK's or most supermarket donuts. Given their proximity to work, this could be bad....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946