• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recs for Atlanta Convention Center Area (or Nearby)

Chris Amirault

I've got four -- count 'em -- four dinners in a row that I'll be hosting while in Atlanta for a convention next month, and I'd like to get them booked as soon as possible. If I can hit a $20-40 pp price point for a drink, shared app(s), and an entree, I'd be happy. These are not food fiends such as yours truly, so something interesting enough but quality would be great. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

There's not a whole lot nearby the convention center, but you'll have access to easy public transportation.

MARTA to Decatur for Cakes and Ale or Brickstore Pub. There are other good places in Decatur and it's a nice area to walk.

MARTA or bus to Empire State South. I haven't been there, but it's high on my list of places to try.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to be a little late to this post. If it's not too late I've got several suggestions in order of my recommendation:

Holeman & Finch -- For lack of a better word it's a gastropub, but that's selling it short. The best cocktail program in Atlanta as far as I'm concerned and the food is outstanding and right in your price range. Also an amazing burger that they sell in limited quanities nightly.

One Eared Stag -- A funkier and more creative take on southern farm-to-table. This is what modern southern cooking is about.

The Optimist -- Seafood/Raw Bar -- I'm a reluctant to recommend a seafood restaurant in Atlanta to a Rhode Islander, but it's outstanding. The main restaurant may be a little over budget but the raw bar, which has a separate menu from the restaurant, is also very good. Oh, they also have a small putting green outside in case you want to practice your putting stroke after dinner.

Local Three -- Another take on southern cuisine, similar to Empire State South, but a bit looser and less expensive. The bar offers a great selection of bourbons/ryes.

Lastly, the Decatur suggestion is a good one -- lots of bars restaurants within walking distance of each other. If you head out that way, I'd recommend No. 246 which has some of the best pasta dishes in Atlanta.

Hope you have good time while you're here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Glad you enjoyed OES, it's kind of flown under the radar a bit here. Since I posted, I've heard from several folks that Optimist has struggled handling the post-Esquire crowds -- hopefully they get it back on track since it was really outstanding the first few months after opening.

• 1 month later...