• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pig's blood in NYC

mm84321

Off-hand, I'd have to say head to the local slaughterhouse, since coagulation happens really quickly (in fact, without salt or something stirred into it, I'm not sure you'd get it home still liquid), so this isn't something you're likely to find at a butcher, but one of the vendors at the greenmarket might be more accessible/helpful.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Slaughter houses salt the blood before delivering it to butcher shops. Even salted it will coagulate within a day or two. Your best bet will probably be finding a quality butcher shop and see if they can get blood from their next pig delivery in. Some slaughter houses will have the capability to fulfill such a request and the blood will be extremely fresh. I would recommend tasting the blood before cooking with it to get an idea of the salt level. Some places salt very heavily while others use salt much more sparingly.

As a side note: I have had good luck blending coagulated blood with a high powered blender and using it as I normally would when it had never coagulated. Not ideal, but a possibility.

Andrew Vaserfirer aka avaserfi

Host, eG Forums

avaserfirer@egstaff.org

eG Ethics Signatory