• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smart Kettles (electric jugs)

porpoise_oil

Hi everybody,

Has anyone had any experience using 'smart kettles' - electric water jugs that have temperature controls on them? For example, the Breville Smart Kettle, which lets you specify a temperature and time. This seems like an interesting idea, particularly for making coffee and tea, but also for preparing water for a water bath.

I'm curious if the temperature controls are actually accurate though - if they're correct to within 1 or 2 degrees C then it seems like an interesting idea.

Thanks,

John

I have a Capresso which I really like, but it does not have temperature controls, it only brings the water to a boil. Faster than the microwave.

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"