• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heat-stable zip bags in Australia

Hi everyone,

I've been doing some sous vide-ing on and off for a few months (using a PID controller and rice cooker/slow cooker depending on the amount of stuff I'm making). One of my friends went to the US a while ago and brought back some Ziploc bags for me to use as I know these are heat-stable for use in sous vide. However I'm running out of them, and would really like to find an alternative here in Australia.

Does anyone know any brands of Australian zip-lock plastic bags that are safe to use for sous vide? I generally only do shorter recipes (a few hours at the most) and not the 72h ones, although it would be nice to have the option if that was easy!

Thanks,

John

John, which part of Australia are you in?

Supermarket only sells Zip-lock bags. Those are fairly thin, but won't melt in your SV bath (mind you, I haven't taken it above 80C). The only concern is that the bags may fail.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

haresfur - good tip, thanks! I'll have to see if I can befriend someone with a Costco card :) I live in a small apartment so I hadn't thought about buying in bulk!

Keith - I'm in Melbourne. That's good to know you've had success with them in the past. I guess I'd be more comfortable with the manufacturer saying they're not going to leech plastic or disintegrate, but for short cooking times (say