• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bethesdabakers

Paris: Bread & Tagines

4 posts in this topic

Off to Paris next weekend for the first time in a couple of years. Apart from having a good time, celebrating aniversaries, etc. my chief interests are bread and food related.

I know the main kitchen shops and Librairie Gourmande, and I've done the famous boulangeries but does anyone have any suggestions or personal favourites or new arrivals in these fields?

Plus, this time we're not flying, so can stagger back on Eurostar with a decent tagine in addition to the Martinique rum. Where's the best place reasonably near the centre to find North African cookware?

Thanks

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

Actually, the area around Gare du Nord is rather ethnic, so you may not have to venture too far (though most apparent is Tamiltown, literally in the shadow of the station. Seek out a restaurant called Ganesha Corner....). If in doubt, head away from the centre of town from the station and you will definitely be in North African territory soon.

Thanks, I should have thought of that but normally would be heading into the centre from Gare du Nord, probably directly onto the metro without leaving the station.

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

"I can give you more pep than that store bought yeast" - Evolution Mama (don't you make a monkey out of me)

Well, the story did end up north of Gare du Nord - in Liverpool. See here

Had a great weekend in Paris but it rained as bad as North Wales. We walked for miles but among the ethnic shops we never came across anything North African. But thanks again for the suggestions - we made plent of new discoveries.

Mick

Mick Hartley

The PArtisan Baker

bethesdabakers

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Similar Content

• Problems with glazes when downscaling recipes
      By Droo
      I'm always finding that my glazes are incredibly thick when I downscale my recipes. I am not sure whether it is the ingredients I use, my technique or the recipe is problematic when scaled down. 

Do I just add sugar syrup to thin it down to required viscosity?

• La Potence - Where can I eat this?
      By Dman104
      Not sure if this is the right place to be posting this. I'm looking for a restaurant that serves La Potence, had it a few times on holiday in the French Alps several years ago and want to introduce this to my girlfriend. Does anyone know of anywhere that serves this??? I live in the South East (Milton Keynes - an hour out of London) but enjoyed it so much last time that would be willing to travel a fair distance to have this meal again.
    • Adventures in Brioche
      By frogprincess
      I made my first brioche this weekend and I am hooked! I followed the recipe here http://www.travelerslunchbox.com/journal/2...ct-brioche.html but I did not use brown butter. Although my first attempt did not yield perfect a loaf (under baked) I was happy with the results but the buns turned out great.
      I am already thinking about the next time I am going to be able to make this wonderful treat and the variations I want to try. The next time I make the attempt I am using to bake the buns in muffin tins rather than make loaves. I would also like to try adding some different flavors (cinnamon & raisin and orange)
      Please post your experiences, favorite recipe sources and variations as I’d love to learn more.
      Thanks!
    • Saucisson de Lyon - pommes a l'huile
      By PeterPoint
      I'm trying to track down a Paris eatery where I can find an old Burgundian staple which has disappeared from menus & blackboards. Saucisson de Lyon, pommes a l'huile. Recommendations or sightings would be most welcome.
    • Bangkok hosts new start-ups by France's Robuchon & Lorain
      By PeterPoint
      Dateline Bangkok late 2014/early 2015: France has now replaced Italy as the perceived sine qua non of European fine dining with the opening of two local outposts of French Michelin starred restaurants: Joel Robuchon's burgeoning foray into Asia of his successful L'Atelier brand & Jean-Michel Lorain's J'aime eatery, a Bangkok outpost of his flagship La Cote Saint Jacques at Joigny in France. I wonder if any of our forum's Southeast Asian expat & local gastronomes have visited the aforementioned and, if so, what is their take on the head-to-head start-ups in Bangkok. Does Bangkok merit a Michelin guide of its own?