• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Liver & Belly in Caramel Soy Sauce

Out of all the simpler things in life being the best, this would be at the top of my list. It doesn't look special, but the combination of the slightly sweet caramel soy and the liver is absolutely superb (if I do say so myself lol however, it's not my dish but my parents').

I thought I'd share it in this forum :)

I started off with the pork belly - cooked it covered in water for about 30 minutes and then removed and cooled it. I had to tweeze the stubble off the skin which was as big a pain as tweezing my own armpits. (No, I didn't use the same tweezers lol). Then I sliced it into 1cm pieces and placed these into a different saucepan and added a tablespoon of soy sauce and the same of caramel (dark/thick) soy sauce. I added the stock from simmering the pork belly to barely cover the ingredients and cooked this for another 30 minutes, and then stirred in the thinly sliced pork liver at the end. I wasn't sure if it was safe to leave the liver slightly undercooked which was how I remember this dish from my childhood, and how I would've liked it. But it was still quite a nice texture and not too chewy after a minute or two of simmering.

The only thing I forgot to add to this dish was ginger! Anyway, I was still in heaven and just couldn't stop eating it...!

image.jpg

Edited by superbadkitty (log)