• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seeking culinary goodies in the Yucatan. Has anyone got any advice?

NatashaH

Hi,

We're off to the Yucatan next month, staying in Valladolid, Merida, Campeche and Tulum. We're only just beginning to catch on to good Mexican food here in the UK and I really want to explore the culinary opportunities to the full while I'm out there.

Has anyone got any great recommendations?

Thanks - in advance,

Natasha

You can try saving the seeds of the chiles and growing them yourself. I think the unusual chile there is called Xcatic. (Someone will correct me, I'm sure.)

Also you could try and bring back the recados- pastes ground from annato seeds and seasonings and other good things. There's a classic red, a black for stuffed turkey and even one for beef.

Chaya leaved would be great but I don't you'd get them through customs.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

the courtyard restaurant of the Meson de Marques hotel in Valladolid serves fantastic local cuisine. Actually that's probably the best place to stay in the city, too. Next door there's also an open air food-court kind of market, which has many tasty goodies.

Not much of note that I recall in Tulum, but an hour up the road in Playa is Yaxche, which serves only pre-Hispanic Mayan recipes, which are quite delicious.

It also goes without saying that the street food everywhere is pretty good

Edited by Hassouni (log)

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

In Merida look for menus serving native deer.  Only Mayans are allowed to hunt deer in the Yucatan.  We had some excellent deer entrees in Merida, but I cannot remember the restaurant names.  Thankfully, most restaurants in Mexico will post their menu outside their restaurant.