• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to find personal chef–not haute

This request is perhaps not appropriate for eG, and I'm not sure what forum to post in, but perhaps someone can suggest how I could find the right person for this small job, whether it be a beginning culinary student, or just someone with good kitchen skills who wants late afternoon to evening work, approx 4 days a week, flexible.

My mother is 94, living at home, alone, in her midtown NY appt. She is on oxygen 24/7 but otherwise fairly on the ball and with very few food restrictions. The woman who was filling this job previously became rather ill this month, and it looks like she may not return.

Are there specific culinary schools in NY that I might advertise for a beginning student? Anyone with suggestions? We are not talking complex cuisine, just simple but flavorful food. A regular supply of indiv leftover portions would need to be packaged for the fridge and freezer.

Here's an example of what worked. Wanda would come four afternoons a week, from approx 4:30 pm to 7:30. She would do the shopping as needed, cook a meal which she and my mother would eat together, clean up, then leave. The days are flexible, some weekends might also work. Usually there is only my mother to cook for but occasionally there would be a guest. She was not a professional cook, but she was energetic and had good instincts and often cooked some of her native dishes from the Dominican Republic. Nothing was complicated, but it was good. The pay does not fall in with what a professional personal chef might make. This is a no-bling job, but there are some perks: one, my mother wants to have as little input as possible about what gets put in front of her, she just wants someone to make her a nice meal. The chef gets to eat whatever they make. One caveat: no republicans need apply, and talking politics is a plus! The downside is that Chris Matthews is turned up to very high volume. The days can be flexible, and the times could be flexible too if food can be made ahead. Some cooking could be done off site, as desired, with reimbursement for time and ingredients. Whole Foods Columbus Circle is three blocks away. Thanks for any help!