• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Donut Joints

Shel_B

Yesterday I stopped into a donut place that I'd never been to, in a neighborhood that I rarely frequent. What struck me was the simiarity to every other donut joint I've been to, both in decor (and I use the term loosely) and the style and taste of the donuts.

I like buttermilk and old fashioned donuts, and everywhere I go these donuts look alike and taste very similar. I was wondering if these little mom-and-pop shops use a standard mix to make their treats.

I'm located in the East Bay of the San Francisco Bay Area. Are there any shops around that produce something different in the way of donuts, perhaps using their own recipes or ingredients? I don't grab a donut very often, so it would be nice to get away from the mediocre sameness of these typical shops.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

99.9% of the doughnut shops in North America use mixes from companies like this:

http://www.yourbakemark.com/brands_products/bakery-products/donut.html

Which always makes me chuckle when I read a report from someone who says Place A is so much better than Place B. The reality is that both places are most likely using the identical mix, but Place A replaces their oil on a more frequent basis...

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

99.9% of the doughnut shops in North America use mixes from companies like this:

http://www.yourbakem...ucts/donut.html

Which always makes me chuckle when I read a report from someone who says Place A is so much better than Place B. The reality is that both places are most likely using the identical mix, but Place A replaces their oil on a more frequent basis...

Exactly! I worked for a month at a mom & pop place on the east coast that the locals loved. We used the same Dawn mixes as the chain place a couple blocks away, but, we changed our oil religiously. We also didn't water down the fillings.

For a splurge you could go to Bellanico on Park Blvd Oakland and get the bombolini. Really good. They have them as a brunch food on the weekend or regularly for dessert. Italian style donuts, with coffee, makes a great treat.

Sounds intriguing. Haven't been to that area in quite a while.

... Shel