• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kobe ban lifted

ScoopKW

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2205763/350-Kobe-steak-dinners-sellout-upscale-Manhattan-restaurant-listed-menu.html

So, apparently real kobe is back on our menu. Here in Las Vegas, there are three places selling it. I'm wondering if it's really the real deal. There are still SO many places offering faux-be beef that I'm skeptical.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

Why is this only being reported on an English newspaper website (notorious for its inaccuracies and inventions)?

The article contradicts itself. It says Kobe was banned in the US because of foot and mouth disease, then later says it was banned because there were no inspection stations.

"as an unregulated term, the American government has enabled vendors to misuse the Kobe name." Well, they got that bit right. The US tramples all over names protected elsewhere. But are hugely aggressive at pursuing perceived copyright violations outside the USA.

But we've been though this before.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...

I think I will wait until an eGullet member who can speak to an actual producer of Kobe beef, as well as an eGullet member that would import said beef to chime in before I go Kobe crazy. Some verification through trusted associates would be quite nice.

Edited by MisterKrazee (log)

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.dailymail...isted-menu.html

So, apparently real kobe is back on our menu. Here in Las Vegas, there are three places selling it. I'm wondering if it's really the real deal. There are still SO many places offering faux-be beef that I'm skeptical.

I noticed it on the menu at Gordon Ramsey Steak. Listed as Japanese Kobe. I was surprised to see it, as I didn't know the ban had been lifted. But I didn't investigate further to see if it was legit.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"