• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lard and butter and fat – oh my!

jfrater

Last week was the first week of my switch away from carbohydrate rich foods to animal fat products. I lost 1kg (2.2lbs) after eating eggs and bacon fried in beef dripping for breakfast, fatty meat for lunch, and meat and veges for dinner. I didn't reduce my wine intake and I didn't cut out dairy. I am using nuts and cheese and meat for snacks. I feel great - week two now. I plan to stick at this for the rest of my life. I am eating very very well.

Did people live longer in the old days using mostly animal fat?

I don't know. Just asking.

dcarch

No dcarch , people didn't live longer because of diet, they lived 'shorter' at that time because of the lack of penicillin, and

Sulfanilamide.Well said andiesenji:

Very true.

However, let me ask the question in another way:

Did people live longer in the old days who used mostly animal fat and who died from natural causes, not from infectious diseases?

dcarch

It's probably water JF. Low carb always starts off with a water loss bump. Still feels good though so don't discount it, and the weight loss should continue. I've found whenever I low carb I end up eating about the same amount of meat and fat, but without the taters, pasta, and bread to go with.

Did people live longer in the old days using mostly animal fat?

I don't know. Just asking.

dcarch

No dcarch , people didn't live longer because of diet, they lived 'shorter' at that time because of the lack of penicillin, and

Sulfanilamide.Well said andiesenji:

Very true.

However, let me ask the question in another way:

Did people live longer in the old days who used mostly animal fat and who died from natural causes, not from infectious diseases?

dcarch

dcarch, 'In the olden days' about 1960, in England to buy olive oil you had to go to the chemist for a very small bottle.

They would presume you would want it to rub on your feet or warmed, drop it in to your ear to loosen the wax.

There were no options, beef fat, best of all for frying, and for me, after the sunday, the drippings from the beef

spread on bread.

The Belgians swore by horse fat for the best frites.

To fry an egg, bacon fat, then at the end press your slice of bread in the pan (no cooking)

put in on the plate and salt then pepper.

In other words, there was no option, anyway , 'Who knew?'

That regime did not make them live longer,

but my Aunt Cherry made it to 92 and was always warned of

her high cholesterol readings and Dr Morrison said when she was 3yo 'her heart has a slight murmer, but it should't cause her much trouble'.

Anyway, people just did not live longer in the olden days

I hope I am still on subject..

Edited by naguere (log)

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

"----but my Aunt Cherry made it to 92 and was always warned of her high cholesterol readings and Dr Morrison said when she was 3yo 'her heart has a slight murmer, but it should't cause her much trouble'. -----"

I think we all know people who chain smokes, drinks, eats a pound of bacon everyday and is 100 years old.

It seems to me that cultures whose diets are mainly vegetables and fish, over all, live longer and have less obesity issues.

dcarch

"----but my Aunt Cherry made it to 92 and was always warned of her high cholesterol readings and Dr Morrison said when she was 3yo 'her heart has a slight murmer, but it should't cause her much trouble'. -----"

I think we all know people who chain smokes, drinks, eats a pound of bacon everyday and is 100 years old.

It seems to me that cultures whose diets are mainly vegetables and fish, over all, live longer and have less obesity issues.

dcarch

Enough already !

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

Over here you'll find a picture of the Lardy Cake I made with browned butter. Didn't have any lard but did find a jar in the freezer of the pressure cooker browned butter with extra milk solids from Ideas in Food.

Made a wonderfully tender and moist bread. I'll be adding this to my repertoire.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)