• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vertical Rotisserie (for Al Pastor)

annachan

Oh how I have missed Mexican food since I moved to Australia. One thing that I've really missed is al pastor. I know I can't get a decent version here so I need to make my own. Problem is, I don't have the equipment. Getting one of those large commercial rotisserie is out of the question. Not just about price here, but having to make a really large batch of al pastor when I just want dinner for two, is not practical. I know people have done it on horizontal rotisserie on the bbq. Well, I don't even have a bbq at my place.

So, I'm wondering if a counter top vertical rotisserie like this one would work: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Cuisinart-CVR-1000-Touchpad-Vertical-Countertop-Rotisserie/4275525/product.html?cid=207675

Anyone have much experience with this type of vertical rotisserie? Would it work for al pastor? Any recommendation on brands/models?

Assuming al pastor is cooked like the gyro meat I'm familiar with, quickly browned crispy on the outside and shaved off as it cooks, I'd wonder if this rotisserie has a broil setting that leaves the burners on without temperature regulating? If not I wonder if you'd get the radiant heat to do the browning you'd need with something designed to roast chickens. This one does have a door so you could get in there and slice the meat off.

Here is an article about gyro meat that may apply. I've made Alton Browns gyro recipe and agree with Kenji on the points he makes and am going to give it another go with his suggestions. For cooking the meat he slices it thin and browns it under the broiler.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/06/greek-american-lamb-gyros-homemade-from-scratch-the-food-lab.html

I've considered building a vertical rotisserie (I love to tinker) using radiant heaters, but like you say, if your not making a bunch of sandwiches at once I'm not sure it makes sense.

If you do end up getting one please report back on how it does, if it works well for al pastor or gyros I'll consider one myself.

I've been looking online and it seems like there aren't many choices for vertical rotisserie available. The Cuisinart one is not available here yet. So, I think I may have to wait to see if I'm able to even get a good quality one here.

I think it makes sense for me to try out different marinade recipes using the broiler for now. Maybe by the time I find the recipe I like, I'll find a good vertical rotisserie over this side of the world....

You could fit a barbecue on that balcony. Hauling those boxes up the stairs would be a barrel of laughs, tho'.

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

My thoughts are , that you are wanting to shave off the outer edge of your Pastor?

I'm not sure your model will allow you to do that, the othe issue then becomes, the deeper you get into it will the verticle element cook it fast enough?

Thoughts!!

Its good to have Morels