• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosalie Restaurant

Lesley C

Grill-it, if you don't mind me asking, what did dinner for two run you? I notice people often hint at prices but don't mention them flat out. :smile: I don't mind paying top $$$ for a great meal because I don't do it very often, however, I do like to have some idea what I'm getting myself into. :wink:

Edited by jersey13 (log)

Grill-it, if you don't  mind me asking, what did dinner for two run you?....

I don't mind at all... It was just over 200$ including 2 glasses of (rather ordinary) wine - we should have ordered a bottle of something more interesting. We also had a couple of after-dinner cocktails. Not including service.

Not to disparage Mr. MacMillan, or his restaurant, but for that price, I would suggest Savannah - I preferred my dining experience there. The service was better, as was the meal - although perhaps it's not as 'hip'.

I just re-read my last comment, and would just like to clarify:

Although I was slightly disappointed with my experience at Rosalie, I went there with the highest expectations - and IMO, that was an error on my part. Given my attitude, it would have been very difficult for me to have left Rosalie entirely content. It WAS a good meal, and we DID have an enjoyable time.

If there is one thing that I've learned about dining out, but somehow I can't managed to do it properly - it's to manage my expectations. Often times, my most memorable dining experiences are those that I wasn't anticipation a fabulous meal (ie. expectations weren't very high). Leslie, I don't know how you reviewers do it! :huh:

Not to disparage Mr. MacMillan, or his restaurant, but for that price, I would suggest Savannah - I preferred my dining experience there. The service was better, as was the meal - although perhaps it's not as 'hip'.

Funny, but my wife and I had the reverse experience at Savannah. We had at best a mediocre meal and the service was not that special. Very nice atmosphere however, not as noisy as Rosalie, but we left underwhelmed (especially after such a glowing review in the Gazette).

If there is one thing that I've learned about dining out, but somehow I can't managed to do it properly - it's to manage my expectations. Often times, my most memorable dining experiences are those that I wasn't anticipation a fabulous meal (ie. expectations weren't very high). Leslie, I don't know how you reviewers do it!  :huh:

Check out this Symposium thread that includes a discussion on expectations and restaurant experiences. Click here.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Wait a minute eat2much, I didn't give Savannah a glowing review. :unsure: 2 1/2 stars ain't a glowing review in my books.

Rosalie got a glowing review, and I went five times before reviewing the place. BUT I've heard that since the review the restaurant's been packed, and I'll bet the atmosphere has changed tremondously -- for better or worse.

I just call them like I see them at the time of the review. What happens after that is entirely in the hands of the restaurant.

I went five times before reviewing the place.

Lesley: How many times do you (or other reviewers) normally visit a restaurant before actually reviewing it for the first time? Is there a standard, or does it depend on the publication?

Lesley, of your 5 visits to Rosalie before writing the review, were all the them, for reviewing purposes? Or were some of them, you went there as a private citizen? From reading most of your fine dining restaurant reviews the past few years, the reviews from you the past two years or so, are based on one visit it seems. For example, your recent review of Ristorante Sapori Pronto, where you were treated very very badly, did you make at least a second visit before the review?

It's true that you gave Savannah 2 1/2 stars in the Montreal Gazette review, but you have nothing but praise for this restaurant on eGullet. Sorry Lesley!!, I'm just saying how I see it.

-----------

Steve

Savannah is a great restaurant. I think they've done something interesting with the Cajun/ Southern/ Low Country fusion thing. The room is beautiful. BUT I never gave it a gushing review. After two visits, I had some problems with the food.

Every time I went to Rosalie it was for reviewing purposes. I go to a restaurant as often as I have to before I "get" it. I had a lot of food at Pronto. I felt I had a grasp on the chef's cuisine. It's Canadian/Italian food, pretty easy stuff to evaluate. I saw no need to go back, and frankly after the way I was treated the first time, I didn't want to go back.

Steve, I don't only go once. I go as often as I feel I have to to write a fair review of the place, which could certainly be once, or more. At Rosalie, the menu kept changing so I had to go back. For this week's review of Holder, I went once for dinner with three people and once for lunch with two. We managed to eat quite a lot of food on the menu. For my next review, I'll only be going once. They have a small menu, we plowed through most of it, and I pretty much blew my budget after one -- long -- visit.

Lesley, I didn't mean to accuse you of anything other than exciting my tastebuds in your review. My expectations were very high and while Savannah does perhaps do interesting things with the Cajun/ Southern/ Low Country fusion thing, I would have preferred a delicious meal to an interesting one. I have had a number of dishes at Rosalie that were simply fantastic, but it seemed to us that each dish at Savannah was an "interesting" (yet dissapointing) take on the original.

I was kinda looking forward to trying a particular hot sauce at Savannah (until a waitress (not ours) snatched it from our table and it was never to be seen again). As with your Sapori Pronto experience, we left feeling that there was no need to return for a second visit.

If there is one thing that I've learned about dining out, but somehow I can't managed to do it properly - it's to manage my expectations. Often times, my most memorable dining experiences are those that I wasn't anticipation a fabulous meal (ie. expectations weren't very high). Leslie, I don't know how you reviewers do it!  :huh:

Check out this Symposium thread that includes a discussion on expectations and restaurant experiences. Click here.

Thanks Doc, I'll check it out more throroughly when I have some time later this week - but it looks like an interesting thread that has significant relevance here.

I enjoyed my meal at Savannah, perhaps because I was expecting an 'interesting' take on different dishes. I was impressed with the service - attentive and detailed. I enjoyed the 'pace' of the meal, and most of all, the food: well-prepared and impecably presented. Regardless, eat2much, I can totally understand how an experience like your would be a turn-off.

I guess I was just lucky. :)

While I realize that this is somewhat off topic, it seems that one often has meals that are "well-prepared", "impecably presented", and "interesting". These meals are not bad per se, yet they are not particulary good either. I guess that is why I like Dave's cooking so much because the flavours are always "in your face". For the same price as an "interesting" meal, I would rather have an excellent one.

I guess that when we use the word "interesting" it is perhaps a polite way of saying the oposite......

I guess that is why I like Dave's cooking so much because the flavours are always "in your face". For the same price as an "interesting" meal, I would rather have an excellent one.

There is nothing subtle about Rosalie. It is a bold restaurant. The food is hearty, extremely flavorful and full of contrasting textures. The room. The room, while not the strong point of the restaurant is also bold in its retro design and the waitstaff is boldly beautiful if occassionally uneven with the actual service. It is not a restaurant of nuance. It is a place of style and great tasting food. The perfect restaurant - no, but one I plan on returning to often when I am in Montreal.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I suppose I will try it again. This time I will set my expectations appropriately, I'll try something other than the veal, and I will not be phased by service that is less-than-perfect. I think I'll be in for a treat - according to the Devoir review this week, the lobster bisque is just amazing. :)

thank you for your comments,ihave to admit i am a bit overwhelmed these days,i have a 260 seat restaurant that has been written up glowingly in all papers but la presse,i got a few knocks in that one ,im generally full for lunch and doing brisk full menu terrase all afternoon,and then i get slammed and turn the dining room twice at night,oh yeah and i still oversee globe restaurant,i havent had a day off in four mounths and my g freind is 8 months pregnant ,i make myself available to all customers and will continue to do so, the restaurant is 4 months old and i have alot of work to do, still thank you for all your support....i stress it is always a pleasure to meet e gulletters and please do not or never hesitate to contact me about your visit,it is apleasure for me to take care of you,and make sure eveything is perfect....i would love to have a chance at making you right" grill it.".........please contact me or leave a message at 392 1970.thank you..............david mcmillan

well, you must be doing something right. Everybody who talks about Rosalie is giving high praises. Les Chèvres are very happy for you and Angelo. Continue the good work. Like we say in french: tu as signé, c'est pour en chier!

I would love to have a chance at making you right" grill it.".........please contact me or leave a message at 392 1970.thank you..............david mcmillan

Thanks David,

I will most certainly take you up on your offer - I appreciate your sincerity, and sense of customer service. I am sure that my experience was more of an anomoly, as everyone I have spoken to has truly enjoyed their visits to your resto. I will not be in town often in the month of June, but perhaps shortly after I will get in touch.

BTW, congrats on the upcoming baby! :biggrin:

Thanks again, and I look forward to meeting you.

thank you lesley and stellio,i would never give up but when you think it cant get harder ,it gets twice as hard,im dreaming of a night out ,like you dont understand....i want to eat 12 courses at les chevres so badly ,i want to go to brunoise badly,i want to go to magnan for lobster fest,i want to go look at med grill,i want to go to holder,i want to drink tonnes of wine and sleep in ......i want to go to christophe.....it seems like montreal is a different place so much has happened since i started work at rosalie,its like a new city,i want to go to anise too...........im comin soon............

And you should have been at Dom Perignon night at Toque! Normand outdid himself, and the Chanpagne was beautiful beyond words. A major wow night in the city. I'll post the menu as soon as I have a minute. The food was sublime -- Toque! at its best.