• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosalie Restaurant

Lesley C

Many Montrealers will suffer (or are already suffering) from Americans deciding not to visit our fair city. I am just saying that while is nice to have a vision of what you want it is only "good business" to be flexible enough to cater to your clientelle.

I am an American who just returned from a quick one-night food jaunt to one of my favorite cities - Montreal. This board alerted me to an exciting restaurant in Montreal - you guessed it - Rosalie! I contacted David via e-mail prior to my visit to let him know that we would be stopping in for lunch as I had previously made reservations for dinner at Chez L'Epicier (more on that later in a separate thread). This ws a good idea. My brother and I were greeted warmly by Denis, the extremely gracious and competent maitre 'd. I explained that I had contacted David with the desire for him to select our lunch for us. David was out of the restaurant upon our arrival, however, Denis contacted him and arranged for a truly outstanding late lunch. We started with a simply outstanding (as in wow!) hot smokeed salmon with crispy pork, asparagus and arugula salad. That was an amazing dish, incredibly well balanced and seasoned. The smokiness of the salmon melded beautifully with the sweet and salt of the pork and the peperiness of the arugula. The asparagus presented a fine contrast to the salmon. The following dish , roasted leg of lamb (looked more like tenderloin) with persillade, roasted fingerlings, green beans and confit tomato and olive oil jus was superb as well, but not quite as high on the wow factor as the salmon. The lamb was very tasty, but had more of a strong lamb flavor than some of the organic lamb I buy in the states. While I happen to like that flavor, others I know would find it less apealing as a result. Nevertheless, it was a delicious preparation. Dessert consisted of caramelized pineapple skewered with vanilla beans that gave it a wonderful depth of flavor, lemon cake and vanilla ice cream. Decaf espresso was perfectly prepared. During the course of the meal David McMillan returned to the restaurant. We introduced ourselves and had a nice chat. He is very engaging and gracious. I always enjoy a restaurant more when I can appreciate the personal involvement of the chef and/or owner. Overall it was a wonderful meal and experience. Do I have criticisms? Yes, but they are not really different to what has already been posted here. Even though it was lunch and relatively uncrowded it was still noisy. It was still smoky even though we were seated in the no-smoking section. While I loved the chairs and banquettes, the rest of the decor didn't do a whole lot for me. Would I return - absolutely! Thank you David and staff for a marvellous lunch.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Lesley,

You say "we booed the American anthem at a hockey game" in a manner that suggests that this is no big deal. Why are people upset about that? In fact to many Americans(and Canadians too) it is a big deal. It is insulting and paints all the people of the United States with the same brush.

I would suggest that many Americans who felt hurt by such symbolic behaviour might react defensively and feel unwelcome and perhaps even threatened in a city/province where such actions are practiced.

Given a choice of cities such as Toronto and Vancouver where there might be disagreement on US policy, but respect is shown to its anthem and Montreal where the opposite has shown itself to be true, many Americans might choose to go and spend their money where they feel welcome and respected.

Porkpa

PS-Both my wife and I are dual citizens and ex Montrealers. We both love Montreal and visit often. For the present I will probably continue to do so but Marlene says that she'll be damned if she will go somewhere and spend our hard earned money where she feels unwelcome.

We were very warmly received everywhere in Montreal. I don't believe the emotional reactions of a few should color the image of the majority. I found no evidence of anti-Americanism. In fact, I found the contrary.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Docsconz,

I'm sure you were treated well. Furthermore, I have no doubt that most people would be. The point I was trying to make was that I perceived that Lesley was making light of a situation that undoubtedly will have negative consequences.

Ironically, some of the people who might not come to Montreal might even share the views of those who were booing the United States anthem. When a significant percentage of almost twenty thousand people get up and boo the US anthem at a public venue, the message received by a significant percentage of Americans was "They don't Like Us Up There". Whether its true or not is somewhat immaterial. That will be and has been the perception of at least some and more than likely a significant percentage of Americans What might go through the mind of a potential Ameican visitor, especially a first timer to Montreal regardless of his political views is "why should I go where I am neither welcome nor liked?" It was well publicized that the behaviour of the people at the Molson Centre was not matched by those at similar venues in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.

Porkpa

OK, first of all I think the booing reflects the intelligence of the hockey-going crowd. :wink: Especially these days with the Canadians doing so so poorly. Second, it had to do with the timing.

There's no denying this city's tie to the Mother land. As much as it causes problems in such political situations, it's also what makes us different.

However, when it comes to consuming wine or cheese, we should try to remember there is a person or a family behind that bottle -- not a country, not a politician.

I'll tell ya, I've seen a lot of Americans in Montreal this week for the IACP conference, and -- generally -- it has been a lovefest.

I've always felt French Canadians have a much stronger tie to Americans than to English Canadians. I knew a lot of separatists back in the nineties who would have been happier to see Quebec as America's newest state than as a province of Canada.

Docsconz,

I'm sure you were treated well. Furthermore, I have no doubt that most people would be. The point I was trying to make was that I perceived that Lesley was making light of a situation that undoubtedly will have negative consequences.

Ironically, some of the people who might not come to Montreal might even share the views of those who were booing the United States anthem. When a significant percentage of almost twenty thousand people get up and boo the US anthem at a public venue, the message received by a significant percentage of Americans was "They don't Like Us Up There". Whether its true or not is somewhat immaterial. That will be and has been the perception of at least some and more than likely a significant percentage of Americans  What might go through the mind of a potential Ameican visitor, especially a first timer to Montreal regardless of his political views is "why should I go where I am neither welcome nor liked?" It was well publicized that the behaviour of the people at the Molson Centre was not matched by those at similar venues in Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.

Porkpa

No doubt for an American who has never been to Montreal before that publicity may cause them to think twice. That is one reason why I emphasized in my posts how well I was treated as an obvious American in Montreal. This way at least any e-gulleteers who may be interested in visiting Montreal can see that a visit should not be avoided because of any misconceived notions of anti-Americanism. There has never been a better time for Americans to visit Canada in general and Montreal specifically given the favorable exchange and the availability of cuisine as fine as David McMillan's and others.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I am going to Monteral again in a few weeks and Rosalie looks interesting. Does Rosalie have a web site, I have yet to find on via searches?

Looking for a menu.

Thanks.

Especially these days with the Canadians doing so so poorly. Second, it had to do with the timing.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I had to jump in here...

Booing the US national anthem isn't exactly a new thing for Montreal fans. It was booed at both of the first round games vs. the Bruins that I attended last season and I've heard it at other games as well. There was no political motivation then; it was simply in bad taste.

The biggest problem that the Americans I've spoken to had with the most recent and notorious anthem-booing incident is that it was at a kid's hockey game. These American kids were absolutely thrilled to be playing in Montreal and then thousands of fans started booing. I don't envy their coach having to explain that the fans weren't booing at them...

As an American that's lived in Montreal for almost five years, I can testify to the fact that on the whole, this is a Yank-friendly city. And people that have been here before will recognize that. However, the fact is, events in Canada generally aren't allotted much news coverage in most American cities, so widely-covered things like this are really the only glimpses that many Americans get of what Canadians are like. As unrepresentative of Canada (and even of Montreal) as this was, I would imagine that it left a bad taste in plenty of American mouths, and I'd bet that some of them will choose another destination for their next vacation.

Given all the horrid things that are happening in the world today, I find it absurd that anyone should get upset about booing a national anthem.

Better booing than bombing.

I hope Rosalie's sticks to its all French wine list.

At the same time, given all the horrid things that are happening in the world today, I find it absurd that anyone would boo a national anthem in the first place.

In my opinion, people go to events like this to get away from what's going on in the rest of the world, because they want to have some fun in what is largely an un-fun time. The people that booed are the ones that brought politics into this event in the first place; it seems unfair to blame those that were offended for picking up on the theme.

Lesley, having traveled across Canada, I fully recognize that there's A LOT more to this country than just hockey. Unfortunately, most Americans won't get to see it. Although I'll always be an American and call the U.S. home, I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to see and experience Canada and Canadian life to the extent that I have.

Lets get back to Rosalie, since it is now May at the place is really hitting its stride.

I was present on New Years eve, post 3am and finally made it back on the weekend.

Like the other posts the food and decor are both stand outs. The new summer time terrace looks great and I love how the bar is fully separated from the patrons who are eating. I can't tell you how many times while dining at Globe that my table has been mistaken for wait staff :smile:

Memorable dishes were the warm smoked salmon paired nicely with cucumbers, fois gras with lentils (wonderfully done), seared scallops, shrimp and avocado and of course the veggies and those mashed potatoes. The main dishes and the accompaniments worked well together. Desserts were good, regretted the apple pie over the molten chocolate cake.

Service was not a weak spot. Warm, friendly and accommodating. Wine by the (generous) glass arrives in this nice carafon. Cute with red wine, not so great with white. Gets too warm too fast. House cocktails are fun too.

Great addition to the neighbourhood. Those dull hotel dining rooms take note.

Anyone else been back after their first visit want to further comment? Anyone else now wondering what will make you choose Globe over Rosalie or vice versa?

Best, ABG

I wonder if the celeb crowd will follow Dave over to Rosalie?

Every visiting movie star has been sighted at Globe at one time or another. I think Globe -- beeing cushier -- will maintain that cachet. Perhaps the tables are too close together at Rosalie. :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

David McMillan can flat out cook!

He is also a very personable guy and runs at least one fine restaurant (I have never been to Globe). My wife and I had the pleasure of having David select our meal and cook lunch for us this past Wednesday on a brief food trip to Montreal. David’s cooking is not subtle. Instead it is packed with flavor and texture providing a gustatory orgy of commingling sensations.

This was my second visit to Rosalie, both times for lunch with the meal selected for us by David. The first time was just over a month ago and was discussed in a previous post. The only relative negative for me then was the décor, which from my vantage point at one of the banquettes in the back was reminiscent of a 1960’2 cafeteria, albeit with nice chairs. This time we had a table in the back, against the wall. The difference was remarkable. While I’m still not crazy about the tables, the sensation we were left with was that of a hip space with great sight lines (and yes there are plenty of nice sights).

David started us with half a crottin de chavignol, asparagus, pine nuts, thick carrot soup (as a sauce), white ham and pork loin dry-cured by his father. This was served with Manetou-Salon, Chatenoy 2001 from the Loire Valley. The pairing worked nicely and was an auspicious start to the meal.

Next was a petit sale (belly back rib) with apple juice and honey, lentil salad and foie gras that while of French culinary extraction, nevertheless was reminiscent of the orient. This was paired with Chateau Tour Haut Caussan 2000. Once again the pairing worked beautifully. The wine continued with the next course, Kamouraska lamb (salt-marsh lamb from northeastern Quebec) roast with poached cabbage heart, salsify and king herring mushrooms. The intensity of flavors and textures in this dish were astounding. The lamb cooked on the rare side, was a perfect counterpoint to the tangy cabbage and the sultry mushrooms. My mouth is wet just thinking about this dish.

Just when I thought I was spent, along came an incredible dessert to revitalize us. It was layers of perfectly caramelized apple with pine nuts and caramel ice cream served with Chateau Gravas sauternes from 1998. The sauterne was good, but totally overshadowed by the pie. An ice-cider might have made a more interesting pairing, although I am nit-picking here.

David describes his cooking as classical French cuisine. I know a lot of the more common dishes of classical French cooking, but these come from a canon I am not particularly familiar with and their freshness is therefore particularly stunning to me. If this cooking is any indication, however, I will be more than happy to become very well acquainted with it indeed.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got around to going to Rosalie for dinner this past weekend... and based on the comments on this thread (and rave reviews elsewhere) I was excited, and expecting a truly wonderful meal.

We arrived late, and had a seat on their fabulous patio. We waited almost twenty minutes before the waitress came to see us - but we really didn't mind, it was a beautiful night, perfect for al fresco dining. And she was pleasant.

Our entrées were well prepared, and nicely presented - although I'm not a fan of the 'kitchy' tableware. Hers: Frisée salad with warm chevre - to her liking. My choice was the salad with blue cheese and walnuts (which had no walnuts) but was tasty just the same. Oh, and we were served our bread and butter after our entrées :blink: .

I cannot remember what she ordered as a main, (I think it was some sort of fish?) but I chose the veal tenderloin. It was served on a potato puree with tender vegetables. The veggies were perfectly cooked (that is, not too cooked) and the fiddleheads were a pleasant seasonal touch. The veal, although very flavourful, was a little dry for my taste. The portion was enormous though - I was not able to finish my veal. And unfortunately, I had no room left for dessert :( .

One final note - the tables on the patio were very cramped (at least where we were sitting). The waitresses kept bumping into the patrons, and the floor manager. So, overall I guess I was a little disappointed, especially considering the tab. I'll go back - but not for a while.

Edited by grill-it (log)