• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosalie Restaurant

Lesley C

In an effort to delete a double post, I accidently wiped out the thread regarding Rosalie restaurant. I know SteveW had asked Rosalie's chef David McMillan to tell us more about the restaurant and David was nice enough to post his reply (before I accidently erased it).

Here's what David had to say:

Posted: Dec 17 2002, 05:08 PM

hello everybody,well i think were opening on the 27th,the restaurant is two floors with a lounge bar upstairs with a cozy fireplace and couches,downstairs there are 160 seats abit art nouveau bistro design,the menu is fairly large and very french in style (acceptable french for montreal)whatever that means,we have beautiful wooden tables that are made from recycled lumber from the old angus yards,they used to be the ceiling planks,there also is a large terrase in summer,i apologize the web site is not online yet ,later this week i hope,i will also post menu soon,on gullet,i hope the restaurant is true to downtown montreal,i sincerly hope (although i might dismally fail)that the restaurant is an acurate portrayal of a good montreal restaurant,any way thats what im workin towards,la cuisine montrealaise ,my mom told me that there should be a good montreal restaurant downtown.....it took me a few months to figure it out............please wish me luck,we have spent alot of moolah renovating that hole......see you soon

Sound good to me! :smile: I'll be there -- with bells on -- in January! Again my apologies to all concerned. :smile: David please post the menu as soon as possible.

Thanks for posting this. All last night I was wondering, whatever happened to the thread(I desperately checked for it, trying 4-5 different ways)!!! I couldn't even read my own posting, on the topic. There was just no way possible, that the thread was so offensive, & eGullet had to censor it by deleting everything. Since I have been very busy the last few days, I hadn't even read chef dave mc(David McMillan) response to my query. I'm planning to dine at Rosalie, as soon as it opens. About 5 days ago, I checked at the future Rosalie restaurant, to see how construction was progressing(it's located at 1232 de la Montagne).

---------------

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

The menu looked very promising, with a lot of very classic french dishes, some of them with a twist: andouillette, sauce choron...

We didn't choose anything, David McMilan was there and he cooked for us...

-Salad of pork feet and veal cheek with some fresh horseradish

-White asparagus, watercress, cucumber, andouilette and hare loin.

-Lamb ''gigot'' with sauce choron, endive and some lentils

-Some very good cheeses

-A terrific apple tart with butterscotch sauce and vanilla icecream.

The decor is a mix of very modern and very old. It's like a modern gourmet snack bar some old touchs: very kitsh plates ( the same they use in smoked meat restaurant, you know, the ones with the brown lines on the border), big ketchup bottles, white music speakers...

It wasn't very busy but on the saturday, they were full ( 140 seats...)

The kitchen is very big and very fonctional.

Patrice Demers

• 3 weeks later...

Had a wonderful meal tonight. Started with the frisee salad with bacon and red wine poached egg and my wife had a very nice salmon tartare. Main courses were leg of lamb and David made a fantastic cheeseburger for my wife who was craving a burger. The fries were great!

Service was very good and the deserts were worth the calories.

I didn't see the burger on the lunch menu. Is it special order?

I had lunch at Rosalie last week and had a terrific lentil and endive salad.

The chicken curry though...no comment (I know I'll get in trouble for that remark) :wink:

Tell me riboflavinjoe, what is the cream topping on the strawberry dessert?

Lesley, I believe the cheeseburger is on the regular lunch menu now. perhaps it is represented on the lunch menu as "plat a $12."

as for the cream topping, perhaps I WILL get in trouble for saying this, but i don't know. I work on the veg station, and rarely get to see the desserts. i try to ask people about their stations as much as possible, but i haven't really had the chance to take it all in yet.

and steve, as for the website, don't know that either. you know as much as i do...

"Bells will ring, ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting.... the bell... bing... 'moray" -John Daker

I didn't see the burger on the lunch menu. Is it special order?

I had lunch at Rosalie last week and had a terrific lentil and endive salad.

The chicken curry though...no comment (I know I'll get in trouble for that remark) :wink:

Tell me riboflavinjoe, what is the cream topping on the strawberry dessert?

I was at the Rosalie restaurant today. Joey is correct, the burger is available on the lunch menu, listed under "plat a $12." The topping on the strawberry dessert is creme fraiche.

--------------

Steve