• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Baked Beans

DanM

I froze a small amount of my last batch. Ended up thawing it just 4 days later, though, so I'd better had kept it in the fridge. It wasn't unpalatable, but the freezing certainly didn't help the texture of the beans, as you feared, they got somewhat gritty.

Tempting offer, Jane.

That might incur the wrath of customs, though. Ironic that you couldn't exchange one of the commodities that enabled transatlantic journeys in the first place over the Atlantic these days.

Fortunately, I found a source for navy beans via Amazon Germany AND a source for butterscotch beans at bosfood (you do not want to know what they are charging for those around here, though...)

:biggrin:

GM.

good for you; and amazing in some ways a la the butterscotch beans. Sometimes, price must not be the object

I'd like to make the Rhode Island Baked Beans. Can they be prepared ahead and frozen? I'm guessing that the beans might become mushy ....

I have frozen them. Not the same after freezing. I would rather make them a week ahead and hold them in the fridge than freeze. They will not go bad. Keep them very cold. Probaly best about 2 days after baking.