• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chocolates and Confections"

Beth Wilson

I was checking out Amazon and I discovered Peter Greweling has a new book coming out. Well, not really a totally new book but a new edition of Chocolates & Confections.

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/0470424419

I have his first two books and I have used them with great success. The first book was a great reference book for my Food Chemistry course last year, actually it was a whole lot more informative than the text I had to buy for the course.

I am having a hard time deciding if I want to put the money down and pre-order this book too. Decisions Decisions.

I think I am leaning towards getting it anyway. His books have been great so far. Anyone got an opinion on picking this book up if you have the other two?

He mentioned the new book when we took the course earlier this year - bunch of new recipes and more laminated items as I recall.

I'm sure I'll end up with it.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/chocolates-and-confections-peter-p-greweling/1110764028

Saw the table of contents for the 2nd edition, looks like it just has the additional chapter for candy bars. I'm hoping additional items were added to the non crystalline confection, that seems to be the section I use the most.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

• 3 weeks later...

I think those photos are all in various CIA books. I recognize some from The Professional Chef and The Modern Cafe for sure (ans obviously Chocolates and Confections), and I'm going to assume also Garde Manger, and possibly The Art of Charcuterie. Not able to pinpoint them all though.

My copy arrived today: some first impressions (I have not made anything from the new edition yet)...

It's considerably larger than the first edition: the bulk of the new material appears to be expansion of the text itself, covering more ground in more detail at the beginning of each chapter. There are some new recipes, but that was not the focus of this revision. As was true of the first edition the text is clear and concise: I appreciate the additional details given regarding decorating molded chocolates (for instance). I think that the book remains the most definitive confectionery reference available, and if you don't own the first edition the new edition would definitely be a great resource for you. If you already own the first edition things are less clear. I certainly wouldn't suggest keeping both: if you want the new edition, sell your first edition (I think amazon is still offering a few dollars, but I bet there are a lot of amateur confectioners who wouldn't mind a cheap copy of the first edition either). Is it worth upgrading? Well... probably only if you're the obsessive-compulsive type. Then again, that might still be most confectioners out there!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org