• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making smaller batches of different colored macarons

Amirah

Hello All!!

I have a bit of random question. I'd like to make a bunch of different coloured macarons. I don't really need/want to make a batch (that makes about 40) for each colour I want- if there's a better way to do it. I really only need a a quarter of a batch in one colour and want about 7-10 different colours. Any one have any ideas or experience as to how I could go about doing this?

Thanks!!

A

Both fantastic ideas. I was wondering though, if these methods will work specifically with macarons- considering how fickle the batter can be?

That would be the problem with adding successive colors. That's going to lead to over-mixed batter at about color addition number 2.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I've seen my chef makes a batch of white macarons and later on spray gun different colors on them for varieties. U can even get like shade effect. Or you can paint them with dry color dust with a brush. I have to clarify that my chef did not spray the whole macaron with the color, just for a light shade.

If you can keep accurate weight of your mixtures, you can always prepare the meringue and almond/sugar mixtures separately and then divide them up - I sometimes make a single batch, split the meringue in half, colour each half and go from there... I guess you could probably do the same with quarter-batches but as I said you'd need to be pretty careful to make sure your ratios stayed correct.

Thanks for all the help!! Will definitely give everything a go- probably going to end up using a combination of all the ideas here. If there's a successful outcome at the end of it all, will keep you'll posted!!

Thanks again!