• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greek pastries

KaffirLime

Whilst on holiday in Skiathos this Summer we visited a pattiserrie in the town a couple of times to take away a box of his absolutely amazing cakes. They were'nt anything like the dense oily phyllo pastry type cakes we've seen and eaten before but wonderfully custardy confections with a very light almost 'brick' type pastry. Of course these could just have been the bakers own creations but I'd love to try replicating something similar. There seems to be a real scarcity of recipes for greek pastries though. Can anyone reccommend any books or websites that might get me started?

I think I probably am, I just didn't know the name for them :laugh:

I'd almost resolved to try adapting a recipe for Hungarian kremesh which looks very similar but now you've put me on the right track I can start searching for recipes. Many thanks

I have a book called The Essential Mediterranean Cookbook, with a 44-page section on Greek foods. There is a recipe for galaktoboureko, I can PM it to you if you'd like.

The Hungarian kremesh would not have been a bad choice either... yum! :wub: