• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help! Overseeded

Milangal

OK-so I think I overseeded my chocolate. It seems in temper (no bloom when I do a test strip) but it's super thick! It's semi-sweet/dark (53.8%) Callebaut that came in callets. I've added a very little cocoa butter but didn't know how much or if I was doing the right thing. Any advice for a newbie?

Do you have the bag it came in? Does it show the number of drops on the side (indication of the viscosity) - or does it have numbers that would allow us to look it up online and figure out what sort of chocolate it is?

Hey Danelle, I use the same chocolate as you and when I over seed I just add some warm (about 115 degrees) chocolate to it. I usually take a large ladle of the over seeded chocolate, put it in a separate bowl and microwave it for 15-30 seconds, then add the warmer chocolate back into the over seeded chocolate. If you were just using a bowl and hand tempering you could just zap the whole bowl in the microwave for a few seconds, but I know you are using an ACMC:)Obvious the amount you heat up and how long you heat up depends on the amount you have over seeded.

Jenny

p.s. I was excited to see you join this forum!

JB Chocolatier

www.jbchocolatier.com

Jenny-Thanks!! I'm going to work with it again tomorrow, I just had to put it away so we could head to the lake since I'd worked with it too long already.

Kerry- the bag doesn't say the viscosity as where I got it must have repackaged it into 5.5 lb bags and slapped their own label on. Looking at the website and their product information I THINK it's 3 drops. When I was working with it it was so thick I could barely get it to dump out of the molds to make shells :( Here's the link for the chocolate I had. BTW-you're extremely helpful on all of the posts I've seen you write on! I wish I were nearer to take some classes from you (I'd seen your kitchen classroom you built!)

http://wholesalemeltingchocolate.gostorego.com/chocolate-brands/callebaut-chocolate/callebaut-finest-belgian-bitter-sweet-chocolate-callets-22-lb-815nv.html

Indeed - looks like 3 drops which should be reasonably fluid. So overtempered sounds like the problem.

Totally agree with Jen - heating a portion of the chocolate and adding it back. You can go as high as 34.5C for dark chocolate once it gets overtempered.

Where do you live? Perhaps you could come to our workshop in Niagara in April.