• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Glass Pie Plates

Shel_B

I'd like to get one or two glass pie plates to use for quiche and a few egg dishes, panna cotta, clafoutis, and the like. I've noticed quite a few variations in design and color - for example, I saw a nice, blue vintage Pyrex that got my attention.

So, does the color make much, if any, difference when the plate is used for baking? Is there any type of glass that's stronger and more resistant to poor handling? Should I look for thick glass - how thick?

I imagine that most of the older Pyrex would be just fine. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Thanks!

... Shel

Hi Shel.

I heard the view expressed recently that only (thin) metal will do for pies - ceramics and glass heat up too slowly for the pastry base to be cooked at the same time as the filling. Of course that isn't a consideration for panna cotta, but could be for quiche and clafoutis. FWIW ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

I like both old-fashioned metal (if you can find them...not nonstick) or glass. I do NOT like ceramic; they make the crust oddly hard. For glass, I recommend having a "deep-dish" type (Anchor Hocking makes good ones) and a standard, shallow pie pan. I have never used a blue glass pan. I can only guess, however, that the darker color might give you slightly faster cooking.

It is incorrect that glass heats slowly; one of its benefits is rapid, even heating. You can also see, because glass is clear, how nicely your crust is browning. Glass is excellent for pies, probably the best available nowadays if you don't have vintage pans.

The darker glass items do cook faster than the clear. Generally, you can set your oven 25° lower if using dark glassware. That said, I don't trust it anymore. Pyrex isn't what it used to be. Try searching for 'exploding pyrex.'

I'd use ceramic over glass. But, it does hold heat and doesn't cool as quickly as metal.

[...] That said, I don't trust it anymore. Pyrex isn't what it used to be. Try searching for 'exploding pyrex.'

I have read about the issues surrounding the new Pyrex, however, my intent is to find some vintage glass. I like my old Pyrex items and good quality, older glass is not too difficult to find. Thanks!

... Shel

I like these vintage pyrex pie plates with the fluted edges. I keep an eye out for them at thrift shops and garage sales and have amassed enough of them that I don't need to worry if I don't get one back after gifting a quiche or pie.

Edited to add that I follow the usual cautions for glass bakeware and have avoided explosions.

Edited by blue_dolphin (log)

I like glass pie plates (I believe that the brand I have is Anchor) and in my experience, they do not cause any problems with the bottom crust browning. Ceramic might be a bigger issue, but not the clear glass plates.

I like these vintage pyrex pie plates with the fluted edges.

I have picked them up for $2.50 - $3 in thrift shops and for less at garage sales.

As it turns out. I just discovered that I already have one. No need, now, to buy any more. I found it along with two other Pyrex pie plates in the back of a cabinet. I'm set!

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel