• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What champagne to buy for Mom's 50th?

mskerr

Hi there -

My mom is turning 50 this weekend, and I want to buy her a nice bottle of champagne (esp. since I live across the country and can't make it back home). She drinks Peter Franzia with ice cubes, Miller Lite, and PBR, so I really don't need any obscure vintages. Just a nice $50-$100 bottle that will get her giddy.

Cheers!

She drinks Peter Franzia with ice cubes, Miller Lite, and PBR...

Oh dear, I think we have the same mother!

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I would go the Perrier Jouet route with the green bottle/white flowers in the gift box. Not sure on current pricing. More of a souvenir she can display for future- Moms like that keepsake stuff. If that is over budget go with a similar concept - a decent champagne in a cool bottle she can keep on the mantle after it is empty.

If you're not tied to it being a true Champagne, and your mom prefers red wines to whites (when she drinks wine), then maybe look at a Lambrusco di Mantovano or a di Sorbara. Those are red frizzantes, rather than spumantes, and they're generally a bit sweeter. They should come in under your budget as well.

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

But that is not Champagne! :-)

At least get your mom a real Champagne from France.

Why? Not necessarily the best for the money...

Obviously taste is a very subjective matter. At that price point, I feel that you have more options with the French champagnes. Also I think that it would have more impact as a gift.