• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

History of bottled cocktails?

TAPrice

From what I've read, it seems that Heublein began bottling cocktails surprisingly early, before 1900. Here's a brief history of that company: Heublein Inc. I've always assumed that they were the first, but I'm not certain of that.

I wrote this piece which may give you some insight - http://thejerrythomasproject.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/bottle-and-barrel-aged-cocktails-new.html

However, Pimm's was probably one of the first bottled cocktails* when it started being produced to provide a consistent product following the success of James Pimm's Fruit Cup.

*Am I the only one who doesn't like using that term when speaking about a time when cocktails were a specific rather than an all-encapsulating term?

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings