• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sad news - the demise of the Porkinson Banger

• 1 month later...

Shame - I never got to try a Porkinson.

If you ever get down to North Essex Harters, can I suggest you treat yourself to a pound or two from a butchers in Great Dunmow called Sweetlands. I can eat no other sausage now. These are the best in the world IMHO and I have eaten a lot of different sausages in my time. LOL

http://www.thecriticalcouple.co.uk

Latest blog post - Oh my - someone needs a spell checker

Geez. Is this a smart business move? Coca Cola did something like this in the mid-80's and stopped making it's namesake. The public flipped and they quickly brought it back under a new name Coca Cola Classic. Of course this particular beverage was now sweetened with corn syrup instead of cane sugar. Makes me think it was a tactic to change the recipe.

Perhaps Porkinson's will come back but they might not be quite the same...

Or perhaps it's actually just a ruse to increase coverage of the product both online and offline that will then enable Kerry Foods to be seen to acquiesce to popular public demand and hence relaunch the product on the shelves to a slightly self-deprecating fanfare (and a minimal publicity spend).

Of course, this never, ever happens (for example; it never happened to Heinz Salad Cream, nor BBC 6 Music)

Itinerant winemaker

Follow me on Twitter