• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liquor/beer stores in downtown Van

Endy'

so I'll be in town briefly -- not sure how much time I'll have for dining -- but staying downtown. Can anyone recommend any good beer stores? I'm coming in from Ontario, where the selection is strictly limited by the government, so I'd be interested in sampling the more eclectic. Off the top of my head, I'd love to find anything by Struise, any of the out-of-the-way Unibroue, Charlevoix (Sainte-Reserve), or St. Ambroise offerings, or interesting Trappist products. I'd also love recommendations on local producers that are putting out interesting offerings of specific styles. Those are all just examples though -- anywhere that carries a good range of non-generic options would be perfect. I'm staying near the west end of Robson but anywhere in the downtown area would be good.

on the liquor front, I'm not sure what the laws are, but I'm looking for an aperitif called Cocchi Americano. It's not listed on the BC Liquor store site. If anyone knows a downtown store that carries this, I'd like to pick up a few bottles.

thanks in advance for all help, and yes, I will plan to visit the sake producer on Granville Island :)

Don't know much about beer stores downtown, but while you're on Granville Island, you can also check out Granville Island Brewery. There's a tasting room and retail store.

Generally, the government liquor stores suck and carry mostly big-name brands - great if you're looking for a magnum of Smirnoff, but not so much on anything interesting. You might have better luck at the private liquor stores. I went to Legacy Liquor Store in the Olympic Village (near the Canada Line, close to Granville Island) for the first time this weekend, and they've got the cool stuff, great selection. So if you're willing to head outside of the downtown area, they'll be a good bet for beer varietals and maybe Cocchi.

thanks for the reply! I will check out the store in the olympic village if I get out of downtown. As for the Granville Island brewery, I have been in the past for samples, and also the LCBO (Ontario's alcohol-selling monopoly) carry some of their products, so I will probably take a pass this time around. But I appreciate the recommendation.

so I looked up Cocchi on the Legacy website and no luck, so I didn't make the trip out. I did also look in the BC Liquor Store, the Coal Harbour Liquor Store, and that wine merchant on Granville Island. I also asked a bartender about it while I was there, and he said if Legacy doesn't have it, it'd require a trip south of the border. I'll probably try to order some to Buffalo NY.

for beer, I found a reasonably interesting selection -- mostly hitting west coast stuff -- at the BC Liquor on Bute near Robson, so that kept me relatively occupied. I brought back a few bottles of Estrella Damm Inedit ("the El Bulli beer").

thanks again for the tips!

so I looked up Cocchi on the Legacy website and no luck, so I didn't make the trip out. I did also look in the BC Liquor Store, the Coal Harbour Liquor Store, and that wine merchant on Granville Island. I also asked a bartender about it while I was there, and he said if Legacy doesn't have it, it'd require a trip south of the border. I'll probably try to order some to Buffalo NY.

for beer, I found a reasonably interesting selection -- mostly hitting west coast stuff -- at the BC Liquor on Bute near Robson, so that kept me relatively occupied. I brought back a few bottles of Estrella Damm Inedit ("the El Bulli beer").

thanks again for the tips!

I've seen the Cocchi at Premier in Buffalo.