• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Another terrible boss – sigh.

mskerr

Yeah... the owners wouldn't last a week out here. This spring, "Worksafe" (the worker's comp. board) passed an edict making employers responsible for employee's domestic abuse (To be clear, physical and/or verbal abuse that happens at home).

Naturally, there are hefty fines long in place already if an employer knowingly allows an employee to work under the influence--there need not be any accident to warrant an "investigation"--any employee can file a complaint with Worksafe where it MUST be followed up.

"The drunk will be kicked out."

This happened very recently. A cook came in too drunk to work. He was asked to sleep it off in a hotel, and then come back the next day.

Saw this happen a couple times. Not to say I haven't had life threatening hangovers on the line before but no drinking. Love how this industry is one of the only places "just sleep it off, see you tomorrow".

As long as you can hold your own, yes you never really get fucked with.

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Yeah... the owners wouldn't last a week out here. This spring, "Worksafe" (the worker's comp. board) passed an edict making employers responsible for employee's domestic abuse (To be clear, physical and/or verbal abuse that happens at home).

That's crazy. I'd never hire anyone with those kinds of constraints.

"The drunk will be kicked out."

This happened very recently. A cook came in too drunk to work. He was asked to sleep it off in a hotel, and then come back the next day.

Saw this happen a couple times. Not to say I haven't had life threatening hangovers on the line before but no drinking. Love how this industry is one of the only places "just sleep it off, see you tomorrow".

As long as you can hold your own, yes you never really get fucked with.

It's like big ticket sales. "Boss. I'm in jail. I'll be back in about three days." Boss: "Okay. Ya need anything?"

I resent that this thread is giving drunks a bad name.........................burp

Agreed!

And anyway, there's a difference between being a drunk on your free time/ while closing up at the end of the night, vs. being too drunk to work the line or function at work.

...Time for another homemade watermelon whiskey shot, followed by PBR.

As far as statements being misinterpreted, isn't that why emoticons were invented ? Yeah, I'm a wiseass, but you may not be able to tell when I'm making a joke, cause you can't see me, so I put in a smilie just to show you how I mean the remark. I have said lots of stuff that would be considered incindiary without the :laugh: , :wink: , :biggrin: or :blush: to tell you how I feel.

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

• 1 year later...

I'm a drunk...and I'm a cook. Sometimes those jobs crossover, most times they don't. I do what I do, and I do it better than most cooks in this town. If a given day should find me a bit high, or a bit drunk when I get to work, then that given day will also find me sweating it out, shortly after my arrival...Whatever state you arrive in, will be completely ruined, in short order, in my experience.

I'm a lifelong professional chef. If that doesn't explain some of my mental and emotional quirks, maybe you should see a doctor, and have some of yours examined...