• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to find instant espresso coffee?

Mottmott

I need a jar of instant espresso coffee to use in dessert making. To my surprise several supermarkets had none, and when I called diBruno's they only carry a brand that's excessively expensive for a cookig ingredient.

Does anyone know where I can find Ferrara or Medalia d'Oro? Hopefully in NWest Phila or the near main line (as far out as Villaova is ok).

Thanks for your help.

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts

I need a jar of instant espresso coffee to use in dessert making. To my surprise several supermarkets had none, and when I called diBruno's they only carry a brand that's excessively expensive for a cookig ingredient.

Does anyone know where I can find Ferrara or Medalia d'Oro? Hopefully in NWest Phila or the near main line (as far out as Villaova is ok).

Thanks for your help.

I used to buy Medalia d'Oro at Rittenhouse Market. Surprised DiBruno's doesn't have it.

Thanks for the replies. I used to buy it at the supermarket, too. I think that the miles of pricy coffee-shelf space has crowded out jarred instant espresso. (Even the regular instant coffee was sparse where I looked.) I'll spare you my rant on how hard it is to find items that are 'old fashioned.' Anyone looked for wheatena lately?

I admit I only checked markets out when I had other things to buy. I have some mobility issues, so I'll let my fingers do the walkin'. You've given me a place to start. I'll give Rittenhouse a call.

End of my saga: Fante's carries Medaglio d'Oro.

Bonus: Fante's on my usual food circuit. Whenever I go into CC, I head to 9th St and the Asian Markets nearby with an occasional stop of Ippolito's on the way back home or the RTM if I can find convenient parking.

• 4 weeks later...

Procrastination pays! I found the instant espresso online for about $6-8. (2 oz) I also found it, by phone, at Fante's at a similar price. The Roxboro ShopRite had it for a few pennies more than $3.

I hate shopping at large supermarkets, but every 2-3 months I do a big shop for paper, plastic, foil, some canned goods, sugar, etc. This time I went to the Roxboro Shoprite where I could get Mexican giant corn (try it in soups and stews - adds wonderful texture).

It's a long time since I've been there and I was surprised by how improved it is: both the store itself and the broad selection which is much better than the Superfreshes in Bala and Chestnut Hill where I've been going.

Procrastination pays! I found the instant espresso online for about $6-8. (2 oz) I also found it, by phone, at Fante's at a similar price. The Roxboro ShopRite had it for a few pennies more than $3.

I hate shopping at large supermarkets, but every 2-3 months I do a big shop for paper, plastic, foil, some canned goods, sugar, etc. This time I went to the Roxboro Shoprite where I could get Mexican giant corn (try it in soups and stews - adds wonderful texture).

It's a long time since I've been there and I was surprised by how improved it is: both the store itself and the broad selection which is much better than the Superfreshes in Bala and Chestnut Hill where I've been going.

Glad you found it at Shoprite; Fante's too expensive--groceries not their thing, really.

KO, I'm in South Florida, with a huge hispanic population, so instant expresso is VERY easy to find. I suggest a smaller store in an ethnic Cuban neighborhood, or an Italian neighborhood, come to that. I beleive that Medaglio d'Oro is Italian in origin, Bustello, OTOH, is a South American/Cuban style. ( I don't know what the difference might be, but I'm sure there is one!) HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

KO, I'm in South Florida, with a huge hispanic population, so instant expresso is VERY easy to find. I suggest a smaller store in an ethnic Cuban neighborhood, or an Italian neighborhood, come to that. I beleive that Medaglio d'Oro is Italian in origin, Bustello, OTOH, is a South American/Cuban style. ( I don't know what the difference might be, but I'm sure there is one!) HTH!

Bustelo is indeed Cuban, and excellent - I use their instant espresso all the time in my chocolate recipes. (For brewed espresso, I use Starbucks).

I like Bustelo much better than Medaglia d'Oro - it's richer and stronger with a lot more depth. And to top it off, it's much less expensive. When I lived in FL, I found it easily, but since I moved, I haven't been able to find it, so I order it online.

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.