• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Sturgeon

guajolote

Years ago, there was a place in Florence called Camillo (very possibly still there) that had fresh sturgeon every Thursday. We used to make the trip just for that. Brushed with some good olive oil, grilled, with a squirt of lemon. Yum.

It is a very "meaty" fish. Be careful not to overcook it. The press-with-the-finger test works best.

Who said "There are no three star restaurants, only three star meals"?

Fresh sturgeon tastes great. Make a mix of fine breadcrumbs, flour and a hint of Paprika (more for color as it helps the browning). Spanish will do. Dredge and shake off the filets. Sautee the steaks on each side on high heat until golden brown. Finish in a hot oven till cooked through (shoudn't take more than a few minutes at 350 degrees).

We used to get fresh sturgeon as staff meal at the Four Seasons quite often. Customers would never order it, but Seppi like to have it on his menu. I find the farm raised 'bullets' that are prevelant today, to be quite acceptable. The meat is very firm with a texture not quite like any fish you may have eaten. I used to dump hollandaise on it. Recent preparations find me putting a variant of that suce (choron or bernaise) on the fish. For me the richness of such a sauce, compliments the steak like texture of the fish.

good luck!

Nick

• 3 years later...