• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delicious salt pork

mskerr

I've recently started discovering the joys of salt pork. I was introduced to it from reading old novels, where they describe cooking beans with salt pork, or (in the Little House books) laying strips of salt pork over a rabbit roast. So far I have thrown some in while cooking beans or soup, and occasionally I fry up some small pieces to top a salad (or, yes, even snack on -bring on the pucker). I really like old-school ingredients like this, so I would like to learn more ways to use it.

Any ideas?

I'm a big user of salt pork. Here are some favorites: for potatoes; for the best baked beans; for cakes, for this soup or this or this. Since I always have it around I use it instead of pancetta in pasta dishes, to cook with green beans, etc. It can be cooked crisp and served with a milk gravy for a real old New England dish.

I'm a big user of salt pork. Here are some favorites: for potatoes; for the best baked beans; for cakes, for this soup or this or this. Since I always have it around I use it instead of pancetta in pasta dishes, to cook with green beans, etc. It can be cooked crisp and served with a milk gravy for a real old New England dish.

How is the pork cake? I have my great grandmother's recipe for pork cake (she was not a New Englander, however, but from Kansas with a Penn. Dutch background), but I've never had the courage and the salt pork at the same time.

Wow, that grilled corn and chorizo soup sounds great, and pasta e fagioli is one of my absolute favorite dishes. And thanks for the background on salt pork.

Janeer - I've got your pasta e fagioli simmering away right now. The broth is delicious! Probably gonna let it sit overnight and serve it tomorrow. I've only made the Cooks Illustrated recipe until now, but I think using salt pork instead of pancetta adds a lot of flavor, as well as cutting some expense out. I did add a Parmesan rind though, a la Cooks Illustrated.

Next up: Scootin' Long the Shore.

Cheers for your recipes!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just made a new batch of salt pork according to this recipe:

http://www.aliyaleekong.com/homemade-salt-pork/

This dry brine method under heavy weights and changed every day for a week has produced some awesome looking results:

salt_pork.jpg

I have no doubt the flavor will be more concentrated and intense than the John Thorne wet brine method I was using before.

I do have one question: the recipe says to wrap in cheesecloth and store in fridge for a month. Should I enclose the cheesecloth in plastic wrap, or is the point of the cheesecloth to dry the meat out further?