• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

Shakshuka.jpg

Shakshuka has been on my radar for a very long time and today I finally made it. Wish I had some parsley but even without it, the dish made a lovely and unusual breakfast.

Ooooh! Say more!

What is this Shakshuka, and which recipe did you use?

I am looking for interesting new breakfasts, tho I often dont get to new recipes because that takes more brain than might be available at the time, but one can dream....

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Shakshuka.jpg

Shakshuka has been on my radar for a very long time and today I finally made it. Wish I had some parsley but even without it, the dish made a lovely and unusual breakfast.

Ooooh! Say more!

What is this Shakshuka, and which recipe did you use?

I am looking for interesting new breakfasts, tho I often dont get to new recipes because that takes more brain than might be available at the time, but one can dream....

I seem to be having trouble making a link you can just click! But here it is:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/16/yotam-ottolenghi-shakshuka-recipe

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Fried egg on hash.jpg

A hash of onion, potato, leftover steak topped with a fried egg.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN0269.jpg

Seems to be a good 'use up leftovers in the fridge for breakfast' week. Chopped up left over Spicy Garlic Cashew Chicken cooked in the fat and jelly left over from the Momofuku pork belly. On the side - a different cilantro cashew sauce - the one from Todd Wilbur's Top Secret Recipes book that is used to sauce his take on the Cheesecake Factory Avocado Eggrolls. It's a totally addictive sauce made with cashews, cilantro, garlic, honey and tamarind among other things.

sirloin and blue cheese.jpg

Leftover sirloin steak and the last little bit of gorgonzola.

My 2004 eG Blog

pizza.jpg

Leftover take-out pizza (plain cheese) augmented with some crumbled blue cheese and halved cherry tomatoes from my patio plant!

My 2004 eG Blog

DSCN0314.jpg

Some eggs scrambled with green onion and old cheddar - and dressed with Davina cucina's Cherry Tomato Preserve. Thanks Judy - lovely stuff. You'll need to scroll down the the recipe. Time consuming peeling cherry tomatoes (I used the nice sweet grape tomatoes I can get here) but so worth it.

DSCN0348.jpg

Another dog's breakfast of a meal. Leftover 'Broccoli Cooked Forever' with eggs and grape tomatoes, along with a really nice smoked chop from the 'doesn't claim to be organic but is' farm down island from me.

Son in Law Eggs.jpg

Son-in-Law Eggs - an awesome way to start the day. :smile:

My 2004 eG Blog

sausages on my indoor grill.jpg

Thai pork sausages.jpg

Thai style pork "sausages" seasoned with lemon grass, coriander root, garlic, chili, etc.

My 2004 eG Blog

Percyn - I second Rona's plea!

DSCN0368.jpg

Taken in this am for breakfast for the ER crew - Ottolenghi's Caramelized Garlic Tart. Adapted a bit. But very delicious.

@percyn--I think you should come to the PHL Heartland Gathering and make us all breakfast! Puhllleeeezzzeee!!?? (you don't even have to make breakfast--just come!)

Boy, time flies!

I would love to cook breakfast but unfortunately, I have a prior commitment for Sat night when the potluck is scheduled.

Will try to make a few of the other events. Stay tuned...will post on the PHL gathering board.