• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

Robirdstx – Yum!

Fried green tomatoes have a lovely lemony tang. Cholula hot sauce applied after the picture. Mrs. C liked the firm ones; I preferred the contrast of softer tomatoes with crisp cornmeal crust. Different strokes . . .

We harvested a boatload of green tomatoes. The irony is that the tomato plants are located near a poorly-insulated part of the house so they never froze, and we could still be enjoying vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes. :sad: Oh, well.

p1196754246-4.jpg

Hi to Kim and all!!

At the grocery yesterday, they were giving out samples of Campbells new sauces for chicken. I swear we never buy sample stuff ,but these were so good.

I made it today with buy one get one free chicken breasts, and I added apple slices from when we went apple picking, and fresh mushrooms. it was so good, Breakfast? Well, yeah: LOL.

Edited by christine007 (log)

---------------------------------------

A nice, soft and easy breakfast for my post-wisdom tooth removal mouth to handle - scrambled eggs and dal makhni. This is a great combo! Not just for those convalescing post-op :)

Hayley - not only does that sound amazing (sweet as) - because dal makhni is a family favorite - but I can feel your pain. Had a dentist make an 'oops' two days ago on a filling and am still swollen and hurting...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

Bruce - can you describe the crab paste product? Sounds like something to try.

Product is called "crab paste in soya bean oil". Normally one would use it in crab fried rice, but scallop fried rice seemed close enough.

I like the dark bits you got - well seasoned wok?

A very well seasoned cast iron wok. Seasoning would always peel off when I used a carbon steel wok, but I can beat on a cast iron wok with metal implements without any visible effect.

Full disclosure - black bits were probably more a result of sugar in the dark soy sauce combined with inattention. :blush:

Robirdstx – love the idea of putting fried eggs on top of leftover Mexican – I need to remember that next time!

Bruce – gorgeous fried green tomatoes. Don’t cry over the missed ripe tomatoes – green ones are just as glorious!

Christine – HI! Nice to ‘see’ you! I think that your ‘breakfast’ sounds great. Which sauce was that exactly?

med_gallery_3331_117_6447.jpg

Eggs, Neese’s NC sausage, biscuits and chips. The eggs were cooked using James’ method, but it doesn’t look like it because that sausage fat was HOT!

Wow! In dying here! just looking at your Breakfast shot my CHOL. up 100 points but in a very good way!

Id like a few more details on those eggs. I love the crispy edges! My sister sends me N's smoked breakfast links every year and I SV them!

for me Id sub on the chips with Tater Tots!

rotuts – I use tater tots a LOT with breakfast! The eggs are really easy – you can use oil or an oil/butter mix or just the grease left from cooking bacon or sausage. The bacon/sausage grease is decidedly better, of course. To get the crispy edges you need to get the fat very hot before you put the eggs in – if you do bacon or sausage, put the eggs in right after taking the meat out of the pan. So you dump the eggs in – the whites will bubble up. At this point you just tilt the pan slightly and use a spatula to move the grease over the top of the eggs. You’ll need to do it on all sides and turn the pan a bit. Try to splash mostly the whites and not the yolk or the yolk gets too hard. I’m probably making this more complicated than it needs to be. It’s a really easy, simple method. Maybe James could chime in – his explanation was much better than mine!

Bruce – thank you! It's really good to be back. Those biscuits are frozen ones – Mary B’s. I’m planning on using frozen biscuits for my revised Christmas Eve celebration and they were a test. Very good – and little tea biscuit sized which I like for a party. Mr. Kim would swoon over that breakfast!

Home fries with poached egg:

DSCN0220.jpg

Obligatory broken yolk:

DSCN0222.jpg

The yolk came out a tad firmer than I might have liked, but I loathe runny whites so am willing to risk a slightly firm yolk.

"There is nothing like a good tomato sandwich now and then."

-Harriet M. Welsch

• 2 weeks later...

No pics. But a three-egg frittata with leftovers as filling: Sautéed cabbage, carrots, onions and diced kielbasa. Israeli couscous, and the fridge is cleared of the leftover bits in containers! A bit of diced sharp cheddar and Parmesan. A light sprinkling of home-made salsa. Slow-cooked nearly as low as possible for 20 minutes and then under the broiler to set the top.

Cooked perfectly, moist and tender sliding out of the pan onto the warmed plate with very little encouragement. I'd like to have the bottom less colored and crisped- perhaps next time just a couple minutes on the burner and the rest in the oven to bake pie-like?

A family favourite for brunch: Grilled cheese French toast. Would have been even better with cumin Gouda, but made do with Kraft Sharp Cheddar Singles...Gooey goodness...Eaten with maple syrup. :wub:

Grilled cheese French toast 8009.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

See that! Nice and easy breakfast for good morning from Dejah :)

Inspired I made this yesterday. A new take on and a marriage of two traditional mainstays. I used straight sharp cheddar though. This is comfort food at its finest!

Hangover breakfast of champions..a double-dose bloody mary and a sausage roll. My exec assistant is an insane pork-hound (not a euphemism) and he tells me this is Sydney's top SR. I have been guarding this baby in the work fridge for a day and a half, just waiting for the right moment to bring it home and ravage it.

photo-3.JPG