• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

@percyn - are those maitake (a.k.a. "hen of the wood") mushrooms something you get locally grown, frequently or otherwise?

I love them and a local grower used to have at a certain local Farmers' Market them but they proved to be too much bother (and was a touch-and-go financial proposition) so they gave it up - and I have haven't had really fresh stuff since then.

@liuzhou:

That black "crab roe" - I am assuming this is "stained"/dyed form of normal crab roe? I've always thought that crab roe other than orange-ish in color were artificially colored as I don't know of crab species that produce black roe - but perhaps you could fill me in? (A quick Google & internet search turned up nothing certain)

@liuzhou:

That black "crab roe" - I am assuming this is "stained"/dyed form of normal crab roe? I've always thought that crab roe other than orange-ish in color were artificially colored as I don't know of crab species that produce black roe - but perhaps you could fill me in? (A quick Google & internet search turned up nothing certain)

Indeed it is dyed. It comes in various colours - black - red - yelllow. Same as the more common lumpfish roe is dyed.

Here is a variation on that breakfast:

DSC05870.jpg

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

What are those little red sausages. I bet they are delicious!

They are called Litl' Smokies. These were Turkey but they also make beef and even ones stuffed with cheese. They are probably not that good for you but pack a punch of flavor - http://www.hillshirefarm.com/products/turkey-lit-l-smokies.aspx

@percyn - are those maitake (a.k.a. "hen of the wood") mushrooms something you get locally grown, frequently or otherwise?

I love them and a local grower used to have at a certain local Farmers' Market them but they proved to be too much bother (and was a touch-and-go financial proposition) so they gave it up - and I have haven't had really fresh stuff since then.

Yes they are.

I am lucky to live not too far from a place that claims to be the "Mushroom Capital of the world", so I can generally find most varieties cultivated in the US. These are still a little rare to find and I love the taste. Wish we could get the wide varities they get in France.

I buy them direct from the mushroom farmers when I can, otherwise rely on our local Wegmans to carry these, along with black truffles ;-)

What lovely breakfasts you all have! I try not to read the breakfast thread until later in the day. Otherwise I’m in the kitchen frying bacon and eggs and rummaging in the freezer for biscuits. My new diet is working quite well (10+ lb. loss) and this thread, oddly enough, is the one that will bust it. Anyway, a quick dive into the thread to post Mr. Kim’s breakfast from yesterday:

med_gallery_3331_117_137967.jpg

ET bagel with Benton’s bacon, fried egg and gruyere.

I was experimenting for brekkie today:

I got this for christmas - silicone molds for making ice shot glasses.... but I had other things in mind:

IMG_3007.jpeg

Plain egg whites into the molds, and baked at 300 - took way too long, wish there was a better method. Ideas?

Egg yolk cooked with MUCH sriracha and stuffed inside:

IMG_3010.jpeg

The 'cups' had too many bubbles in them, which made them wobbly. I think I should have 'forked up' the whites before dumping them in the molds. Also, it was very difficult to keep the yolk runny.... I just need to experiment some more...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

So much bacon & egg! I took a slightly healthier (aka inferior) approach after the Christmas glut to try and appease my vital organs a little.

Caramelized apple and hazelnuts with Greek yogurt, cardamon and pomegranate molasses. One granny smith apple sliced and caramelized with hazelnuts, sugar and butter. Served on the yogurt that was sprinked with a cardamon heavy mix of cardamon, cinnamon, pimento and nutmeg. A small drizzle of pomegranate molasses over the top for extra tang.

apple.jpg