• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

I made this challah, with chunks of bittersweet chocolate and a whole lot of flaky salt. And compared to pan au chocolate or brioche, we can pretend it's healthy.

challah+close.jpg

It was amazing melty-warm from the oven, but leftovers made an equally good breakfast.

That is a thing of beauty...

PastaMeshugana

"The roar of the greasepaint, the smell of the crowd."

"What's hunger got to do with anything?" - My Father

My first Novella: The Curse of Forgetting

For Sunday brunch I made this Apple Cake from the recipe Teddie's Apple Cake

I used one of the disposable paper baking moulds, not a tube pan so the baking time took an additional 35 minutes to get the center done to 200° F. (I use temp to make sure centers are done.)

Teddie's Apple Cake.JPG

Teddie's Apple Cake2.JPG

This recipe is extremely versatile. I only had two small apples so used a pear (d'Anjou) to top up the measure.

I plan on making it again with some dried fruits and some candied ginger. A friend has suggested I try using persimmon and almonds - two flavors she swears go well together.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Wow! that looks delicious! I have not heard of disposable paper baking moulds before. any refs?

I used to live in CA and we had two persimmons trees while growing up. they work great in things like this. my mother made persimmons 'pudding' every fall.

For Sunday brunch I made this Apple Cake from the recipe Teddie's Apple Cake

I used one of the disposable paper baking moulds, not a tube pan so the baking time took an additional 35 minutes to get the center done to 200° F. (I use temp to make sure centers are done.)

Teddie's Apple Cake.JPG

Teddie's Apple Cake2.JPG

This recipe is extremely versatile. I only had two small apples so used a pear (d'Anjou) to top up the

I plan on making it again with some dried fruits and some candied ginger. A friend has suggested I try using persimmon and almonds - two flavors she swears go well together.

This looks delicious. I imagine figs would work also? Edited by Creola (log)

I made this challah, with chunks of bittersweet chocolate and a whole lot of flaky salt. And compared to pan au chocolate or brioche, we can pretend it's healthy.

challah+close.jpg

It was amazing melty-warm from the oven, but leftovers made an equally good breakfast.

Beautiful!

Wow! that looks delicious! I have not heard of disposable paper baking moulds before. any refs?

I used to live in CA and we had two persimmons trees while growing up. they work great in things like this. my mother made persimmons 'pudding' every fall.

I got these from Amazon. But I have also bought them from King Arthur Flour. And there is another suppliers but I can't remember the name of the vendor at the moment.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Breakfast! The most important meal of the the day - who could argue that after seeing all the deliciousness posted!

We were invited out to a friend's for supper last night. For dessert, she served Apple Bacon Cheddar Cheese Pie. I thought that would make a great idea for brunch. We had it with root beer ice-cream (all she had in the freezer), so that made it dessert, right? :wink:

apple bacon cheese pie 8124.jpg

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

. . . Apple Bacon Cheddar Cheese Pie. . . .

Sounds fantastic, Dejah - breakfast and dessert in one.

Every once in a while I crave pasta with cream sauce. Usually I make fettuccine Alfredo, but this morning I tried something new.

Fettucine al limone: Reduced cream, butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and grated Parmesan. Lemony!

p1306090642-4.jpg

Soba – what a lovely, lovely breakfast! I’m making gougères for my Christmas eve party and I’m definitely going to do that with a few leftovers!

Kate – gorgeous sausage rolls. Please do not look at mine from Christmas morning when I post them :unsure: .

Deena - <thunk> your bread made me faint. Good GOD, that is incredible. I would give anything for a chunk of that right now!

Andie – beautiful apple cake! I really like those paper pans, too. Did the edges not get dry? I’d love to try them with some tube cake recipes that I have.

A recent breakfast for Mr. Kim:

med_gallery_3331_114_47143.jpg

Scrambled eggs with smoked ham, gruyere and Korean hot sauce

When I eat breakfast, I generally like savory stuff. Once in a while I'll have something like "bacon & eggs" or variations thereof. Very rarely will I have bread or rolls or similar. Sweet things like "Danish pastries" and cinnamon rolls pass my lips *extremely* rarely. Croissants – yes, they're an exception, and almond croissants (if not plain) are nice. Otherwise, I tend to eat noodles (especially soupy noodles) or rice with savory accompaniments or stuff like "Yong Tau Foo" (Yum!) especially when I made a batch the day before...too much work to do it the same morning of the breakfast. :-) Or a nice bowl of "Bak Kut Teh", again usually leftovers from the day before. [in SE Asia I would have eaten things like this from vendors who *would* have made it that very morning, of course]

Here's a pic of some Yong Tau Foo I had for breakfast not long ago. (The soup was the poaching stock with Napa cabbage ("Wong Nga Pak"); the dipping sauce was Lingham's Hot Sauce.)

DSCN7111a_1k.jpg