• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

Percyn: Thanks!

Clean-out-the-fridge fried rice: Leftover smoked baby back ribs, deboned and chopped; edamame, corn, and tomato salad; chopped onion, red curry paste, fish sauce, and an egg. Basmati rice grains stay separate, so they are much easier to work with compared to our usual jasmine rice.

p1101190962-4.jpg

Bruce – gorgeous fried rice! I’d eat that any time of the day or night! As a matter of fact, that would make the perfect midnight snack.

CulinaryLibrary – love the combination of lemon curd and blueberries on the pancakes and your blog is fantastic! I’ve bookmarked it to go back to.

percyn – the corned beef looks beautiful, but are there potatoes BESIDE the hash or in it? And the waffle? Is that chicken? Drool.

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_89812.jpg

Neese’s sausage and CI’s yeast raised waffles with fig syrup. This was the first time that I’d tried the waffle recipe. These are probably the best waffles I’ve ever made – perfectly crisp outside and tender inside. Really easy, too, since you make the batter 12-24 hours in advance and bake them at breakfast time. The fig syrup was the sugar syrup left over from my efforts at candying figs. It was so good, I couldn’t throw it away.

Hi guys, I don't generally have time for a nice breakfast, mine are generally boring , yours are great! Wish you could deliver :raz:

This week, incredible for me, I managed to make two breakfasts a bit more involved for my standards.

Egg en cocotte with some sweet potatoes and salmon

eggcocottesweetpotatoes.jpg

And a poached egg in artichoke bottom with a veal glaze/cream/grainy mustard sauce

eggspoachedartichokes2.jpg

Edited by Franci (log)

poached eggs on a bacon, cothbag summer sausage ,potato hash. green scotch bonnet sauce and roasted red peppers on top.

hashandpoachegg.jpg

A the obligatory broken eggyolk shot

hashandpoachegg2.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Breakfast today:

Steamed%2520Egg-02.jpg

Sliced Hard-Cooked Egg, Lightly Salted Avocado, Laughing Cow Creamy Swiss, and Wasa Sesame Flatbread

I cooked the egg using Alton Brown's steaming method - the yolk was very moist and creamy. The laughing cow cheese worked as a nice sub for the cream cheese I would normally have selected.

Bruce – those plantains are absolutely perfectly cooked – that picture could be in a magazine!

Paula – oddly enough, here in the land where Spam was born, I’ve never tasted it! But that fried rice looks like something that I’d like!

Breakfast yesterday:

med_gallery_3331_117_9995.jpg

Fried egg (James’ method), ET bagel w/ cream cheese and bacon. I had lots of excellent bacon grease, so the James’ method of basting the egg with the hot fat worked wonderfully well!

Bruce – one of my life’s (many) guilty pleasures. Funny how when I was growing up bacon grease was a bit déclassé and countrified and now it’s considered liquid gold! Mr. Kim would love that omelet – the mushrooms are beautiful.

Mr. Kim’s breakfast on Sunday:

med_gallery_3331_117_97680.jpg

Spicy eggs w/ peach salsa and japs, Benton’s bacon