• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

Long time since I’ve posted here, but y’all’s breakfasts are just astounding! I want some popovers, sausages, perfectly fried eggs….

During our recent Florida trip we stayed with friends who share our love of all things food, so we went out to eat at fantastic places that they have found (in Jacksonville, which isn’t easy) and also stayed in to eat her wonderful food. For breakfast one morning she did this really good casserole:

med_gallery_3331_114_142177.jpg

Croissant sandwiches made with ham and cheese and topped with more cheese and an egg custard and baked.

Another breakfast:

med_gallery_3331_114_20354.jpg

Blueberry breakfast cake, eggs baked in potato nests and sausage links.

Man Camp first breakfast while the wives were still sleeping. ;) lol More was added later , mostly meat as it was the last morn of camping and things had to be used up. best bit was some leftover jerked pork ribs reheated over the fire. fritatta with leftover sausage, roasted garlic, tom , japaleno and cheese was pretty good too although no pics were taken . Unfortunately we were out of beans and wieners for this breakfast or maybe fortunately considering the blazing saddles campfires of the previous days. ;)

mancamp.jpg

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Nice casserole Kim, I will have to try it one of these days.

Ashen, the idea of camping is great but the not sure I want to pack and carry all that stuff in the wilderness.

Today we went to a local breakfast hangout and got:

Banana Walnut Pancake w/Fried Egg and Bacon

IMG_1620.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Some recent breakfasts:

baked potato with sunny egg.jpg

Leftover twice baked potato, chopped up, reheated and topped with fried egg.

MUSHROOM OMELET WITH SALSA.jpg

Mushroom omelet with purchased roasted garlic salsa

KIMCHI PANCAKES WITH DIPPING SAUCE AND CUCUMBER CONDIMENT.jpg

Kimchi pancakes with dipping sauce and spicy cucumber salad

Breakfast salad.jpg

Breakfast salad of spinach, bacon, croutons and a poached egg dressed with a sherry vinegar vinaigrette.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna – great idea using the twice-cooked baked potato as a base for an egg. We always have leftovers when I do twice-cooked potatoes and I never thought to do that!

Breakfast on Sunday:

med_gallery_3331_117_74417.jpg

Only interesting because it was a new scrambled egg method. I noticed on the Yahoo story scroll something called “Perfect Scrambled Eggs” by America’s Test Kitchen’s Bridget Lancaster and decided to give them a try. Nothing radical, but she does start them at medium-high heat and then lowers the heat when the eggs have set. I’ve always gone low and really, really slow. My eggs are always good, but these were definitely better – moist and fluffy and a LOT faster. Served with a squirt of Kim-Kim sauce – a locally made Korean hot sauce.

It's been quite a long while since I've posted on this thread, I've missed it so...such wonderful and beautiful breakfasts!

Slightly overcast outside, but with luxurious mangoes, I've got sunshine in a bowl :wink:

Oatmeal with diced mangoes

oatmeal local  pinstripe .jpg

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

It's been quite a long while since I've posted on this thread . . .

Now that’s an understatement. :rolleyes: I know you are still cooking up some wonderful food, so don’t be a stranger!

Kebab omelet – leftover steak, mushroom, and bell pepper kebab, topped with oregano and feta cheese. Tasted much better than it looks!

p1088733200-4.jpg

Spaghetttti, welcome back! That mango looks delicious.

Been busy lately so not many posts, but here are a few hopefully worthy posts:

Went for dinner to this small plates place, but could not pass up a few breakfast type dishes:

Soft Scrambled Eggs w/Shrimp Butter and Uni - roll your eyes back good

IMG_1706.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG

The eggs and uni were accompanied with...

Lava Rock Toasted Sourdough Bread w/English Peas and Bacon (almost like lardo)

IMG_1711.JPG

Grilled Eggplant and Chanterelle Mushrooms on Toast

IMG_1712.JPG

Ive pretty much died and gone to Heaven . Not really, perhaps its Purgatory. Cant say. maybe its the 'P' as I find no use what so ever for eggplant. .

but Uni? Lava Rock Toasted Sourdough Bread w/English Peas and Bacon?

well if they server this in 'P' W/O the Egg :blink: :huh: plant Id stay a long time!

soooooooooooooo lucky you!

PS get rid of the EP and Id take that toast too!

Edited by rotuts (log)

I never understood a dislike for eggplant, really it's just there as a flavor sponge and bulk giver, sorta like tofu. No real flavor of its own, soaks up sauce and fills you up. Can't give it too much oil, or it willproduce a grease slick, but it loves garlic as much as I do!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Kim – Thanks, and nice omelet!

Percyn – Gorgeous! Mark me down with Judiu in the pro-eggplant column. Roberta, we usually have similar tastes in food, but I'm gonna have to throw you overboard here. :raz:

Vacation at home = good breakfast

Slow-scrambled eggs with leftover green beans and a fried sauce of blended chipotle, white onion, and roasted garlic, tomato, and red Serrano chile, enriched with a dollop of crème fraiche. Blended chiles and slow-scrambled eggs taste so good but look so, um, questionable.

Avocados and leftover basmati rice. Corn tortillas would have been better than rice, but that would have required a trip to the store, which would have required getting dressed. :rolleyes:

p1098271296-4.jpg