• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

thank you all, for the kind words and compliments.

032.JPG

Poached wild turkey egg, with cumin-spiced potatoes, spinach and heirloom tomatoes

I just have to ask. How did you get the wild turkey egg?

thank you all, for the kind words and compliments.

032.JPG

Poached wild turkey egg, with cumin-spiced potatoes, spinach and heirloom tomatoes

I just have to ask. How did you get the wild turkey egg?

Quattro Game Farm sells them at Union Square Greenmarket, although the season for it has been over since early June. I happen to have two eggs left in my refrigerator, that will be used this week, after which no more will be available until next spring.

My, my. Such magnificent breakfasts, everyone. My biggest regret in having to almost eliminate wheat gluten from my diet is the loss of wonderful breakfast breads -- biscuits, scones, bagels, English muffins....

So most of the time, I look for an alternate starch for breakfast. Often, it's some form of potatos, but of late, I've been grabbing a few extra tamales at the Farmers Market and incorporating the meat and starch all in one.

Today, it was one of those frozen hash brown patties, fried in bacon fat, with a duck egg and fresh blackberries with creme fraiche.

011.JPG

One day last weekend, it was a chicken tamale and a duck egg..

011.JPG

Unfortunately, I don't have a pic right now of my fall-off-the-gluten-free-wagon breakfast for this week, at a B&B in western Maryland, but it was the best waffle I ever ate in my life. The recipe is here. Will include photos when I take my next leap off said gluten-free wagon, in a couple of weeks.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

During a recent tamale party my Cuban neighbor told me that the combination of fried egg and a tamale was one of her favorites. I gave it a try and am a total convert. The color on the duck eggs is lovely. Are they purchased, raised, or gifted?

During a recent tamale party my Cuban neighbor told me that the combination of fried egg and a tamale was one of her favorites. I gave it a try and am a total convert. The color on the duck eggs is lovely. Are they purchased, raised, or gifted?

I have two sources -- I can buy them through my Locally Grown buying co-op, or I can most Saturdays get them -- and quail eggs -- at the Farmers' Market.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 weeks later...

thanks, menu.

here's a pic of a couple of wild turkey eggs. these were the ones I referred to in my response to Country (they weren't used until today unfortunately):

068.JPG

I've positioned them next to my steak knife so you can see how large they are.

(btw, that knife is what I use for just about everything I cook; for hard to cut ingredients like watermelons and acorn squash, I have a regular-sized chef's knife. did I just hear your jaws drop? it's true.)

and now, for something out of left field :wink:

120-001.JPG

Fried wild turkey eggs on potato chips

This isn't as strange as it might sound. It's based on a Parsi dish called wafer par ida.

You can view the recipe here: www.monicabhide.com/2010/06/once-upon-a-story-fried-eggs-... (courtesy of Monica Bhide, who some of you may recall as a former manager and staff member on eG)

The version that's pictured uses parsley instead of cilantro (as I had none on hand), and ground cumin instead of the ginger-garlic paste.

Breakfast yesterday:

breakfast july 5.jpg

Bacon, egg and some leftover potatoes fried in bacon fat with a couple of very tired scallions thrown in.

Breakfast today:

breakfast july 6.jpg

Egg over a hash of bacon, potatoes and green beans.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

not too photogenic (frankly, I'm not thinking about photos in the morning anyhow...) but I made overnight oatmeal/multigrain cereal, like muesli, with vanilla almond milk, a little maple syrup, cinnamon. Added a cut up apricot and toasted almonds before eating. A really nice thing to have in the fridge for a hot summer day...I think I may make a larger amount and portion/freeze for next week.

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Eggs Mushrooms and  Kimchi furikake.jpg

Sauteed mushrooms, scrambled eggs and kimchi furikake.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Shakshuka.jpg

Shakshuka has been on my radar for a very long time and today I finally made it. Wish I had some parsley but even without it, the dish made a lovely and unusual breakfast.

My 2004 eG Blog

This is Sunday on the old Wedgewood.

Left to right, tepary beans with nopales, eggs from the henhouse, heirloom corn tortillas, an espresso pot, milk for the coffee with canela and piloncillo.

Not picured is the salsa made with manzano chiles.

P1020390.JPG

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

A different fusion breakfast - a combination of French "tartine" and Danish "smørrebrød":

Fusion breakfast.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

scrambled eggs and duck.jpg

Scrambled eggs and leftover pan-roasted duck breast.

My 2004 eG Blog