• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

percyn – those English muffins sound perfect.

Everyone’s eggs look just gorgeous. I think I’ve given up on the perfect (for me) unflipped egg. I just can’t get the balance right unless I flip it. Even the slightest bit of unset white gives me the heaves, so I guess OVER is going to be it for me. Not as pretty as y’all’s, though!

I don’t know how much cooking I’m going to be getting done this week. Mr. Kim is off again this week and we are trying to get another room painted.

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_329092.jpg

Bacon and cream cheese on an ET bagel. Bakery bought bagels, but thanks to Elizabeth’s fabulous bagel tutorial that she sent me, I think that I’ll be attempting my own this coming week!

A large coffee and two fresh baked buttertarts. Not the most nutritious breakfast but oh sooo good. Besides the buttertarts had raisins so that counts as fruit right???

Kim Shook= I am with you on the no unset eggwhite front. I picked up a trick a few years ago that was mostly for presentation but works to make sure my eggs are set for sunnyside up. It is a tiny bit fiddly but well worth it for me. Just separate your eggs , pour the white into the pan and let it set up 3/4s of the way and then gently put the yolk on top. You have to take care to keep it centered for 7 or 8 seconds til it sticks or it wants to slide off. I tend to turn down the heat and cover it at this point as it won't get that white film on top that generally comes when you cover an unflipped egg.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Brown butter and cinnamon chip scones.

Scones 6:9:12.JPG

Scones 3 6:9:12.JPG

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Brown butter and cinnamon chip scones.

Scones 6:9:12.JPG

Scones 3 6:9:12.JPG

Beautiful scones! What's a cinnamon chip?

Like chocolate chips, only cinnamon.

I have some from King Arthur Flour but I have used Hersey's and haven't noticed much difference.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Thank you. I had no idea such a thing existed but I can imagine they'd be a great addition to lots of cookies and bars....and of course, breakfast!

They are very good stirred into hot cereals - they are sweet enough so you don't have to add sugar. I also used only 1/4 of the sugar specified in the scone recipe and they were more than sweet enough.

Homemade black-sesame bagel with cream cheese. Kim - if you'd like a pictorial to go with those instructions, I can do that for you today - I'm making pumpernickel bagels.

BagelNSchmeer.jpg

Edited because what showed up the first time was a pic of cinnamon rolls.....

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

percyn – those English muffins sound perfect.

Everyone’s eggs look just gorgeous. I think I’ve given up on the perfect (for me) unflipped egg. I just can’t get the balance right unless I flip it. Even the slightest bit of unset white gives me the heaves, so I guess OVER is going to be it for me. Not as pretty as y’all’s, though!

I don’t know how much cooking I’m going to be getting done this week. Mr. Kim is off again this week and we are trying to get another room painted.

Breakfast this morning:

Bacon and cream cheese on an ET bagel. Bakery bought bagels, but thanks to Elizabeth’s fabulous bagel tutorial that she sent me, I think that I’ll be attempting my own this coming week!

Kim, I've had good luck with sunny up eggs when I use a good bit of butter or other fat

then baste the whites. I've also been known to 'fork' the whites in the pan, so the uncooked bit runs into the fork holes and cooks from the bottom heat. No 'snot' problem at all! :smile:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Andie – beautiful scones! I love those cinnamon chips. They can be hard to find, so I stock up when I find them.

Elizabeth – sorry, didn’t see your offer of doing the pictorial until today. If you did take pictures, I’d love to see them! Thank you for thinking of me.

judiu – I do the ‘fork’ thing, too and that does help, but I’ve always needed to flip the egg to get the whites as done as I like them. See below for what seems to have solved my problem.

Mr. Kim’s breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_260013.jpg

Country ham, tomato and Cheddar omelet.

Thanks to Ashen, I finally found a method for cooking a sunny side up egg the way I like it:

med_gallery_3331_117_157111.jpg

med_gallery_3331_117_176318.jpg

The white is COMPLETELY cooked and the yolk is runny and warm. That is the most beautiful and perfect fried egg I’ve ever made! I expressed my frustration a little while back and Ashen responded with the directions in post #3519. The only thing that I did differently was to flip the white before putting the yolk on. Thank you so much, Ashen! I didn’t find to too terribly fiddly, especially considering how perfect the egg turns out!

Breakfast this morning:

Fabulous. Especially dipped in salsa.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Forgot to post this:

sausage egg coleslaw.jpg

from a few days ago. The coleslaw is purchased. The egg was done as per the instructions up topic for separating the white and yolk. Not nearly as finicky as I expected. Next I must try flipping the white before adding the yolk.

Today I wanted to make use of my borrowed copy of Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet so it was tomatoes and scrambled eggs:

Tomaoes and scrambled egg.jpg

Edited to fix some dicey grammar/punctuation.

Edited by Anna N (log)

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The scrambled eggs are delectable, Anna!

I am not convinced about separation of egg white and yolk for fried eggs, as it appears slightly raw and disparate.

I have a farm source for extremely fresh, pastured eggs and whole chickens, and I have been able to do plump, raised, and runny poached eggs practically every morning. I'll work on the fried eggs, and report here.

I brought home a 5 lb grass-pastured White Rock chicken today, and grilled half of it, tenderly:

IMG_6617.JPG

A reward of retiring to the country :smile:

I think it is a difference in execution rather than any knock against the technique.

GEDC2830.jpgGEDC2831.jpgGEDC2832.jpgGEDC2833.jpgGEDC2834.jpg

I like a bit of colour on the bottom of my whites but if you want the soft pure white just cook them at a lower temp before adding the the yolk on top.

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Bacon and pastured eggs this morning.

IMG_6637.JPG

The eggs are finished for 1 minute under the broiler.

IMG_6641.JPG

I stumbled on this when I had a George Foreman for a few weeks. I could prepare the bacon and eggs on the Foreman griddle, then pull down the heated lid for a minute or two.

That was all it could do well, as the heater was erratic, so I mothballed it.

Edited by jayt90 (log)

Great posts all ! I am craving some breakfast and it is 4pm :raz:

Elizabeth, would love to see the step by step instructions on the bagel. My fresh bagel experience is limited to the 2 places by my house that make them everyday.

On Sundays we usually go out for breakfast. A recent tradition is frequenting this small place that only serves breakfast and a line quickly forms outside once the 25 or so seats are taken. The last time we were there, I got a Cheesesteak omelete, impossible to finish in one sitting, so the leftovers became a sandwich.

Cheesesteak Omelet Sandwich

DSCN0738.JPG

Today it was Chorizo, Eggs and potato hash w/salsa

DSCN0746.JPG

I cooked the egg sunny side up in the same pan I browned the Chorizo. I find that you can cook the whites all the way through by just leaving the egg in the pan slightly longer. The benefit will be that the edges will crisp up as well.

Gorgeous eggs, everyone!!!

James – I was suspicious of the method, too – with me, whites have to be FULLY cooked (not hard – just good and bouncy) and the yolks warm and runny. That’s exactly how they turned out. I can really get the same thing from an over medium egg, but I just LOVE the look of a sunny side up egg. It’s really silly, but it pleases me :rolleyes: .

Father’s Day breakfast:

med_gallery_3331_114_136741.jpg

By request: Greek scrambled eggs (feta, Cheddar, peppers, onions and olives), Benton bacon and cinnamon toast. The cinnamon toast is made from Scali rolls that I had never heard of before and have been getting at Walmart, of all places. They are really very good – actually the best hoagie rolls I have found in Richmond.

I love reading this thread. Everything always looks wonderful and your creativity is amazing.

I am not a breakfast person and rarely have a chance to contribute, but for father's day my daughter and I prepared a very enjoyable breakfast - buttermilk pancakes (Alton Brown's recipe) with blueberries, maple syrup, and TWO kinds of bacons: applewood-smoked and wild boar.

7390365460_4be8d3c62a_z.jpg

The wild boar had a nice flavor but was a little chewy, so it might work better diced in a quiche for example.

KAARAGE1.jpg

Chicken Kaarage - it's what's for breakfast!

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

A rare indulgence - bread fried in bacon fat and topped with a fried egg:

Fried bread.jpg

My 2004 eG Blog

so heirloom tomatoes have started appearing with some regularity at USGM, which means that it's time for me to start making this as often as possible:

092.JPG

Fried farm eggs, sunny side-up, with heirloom tomato salad and crispy toast.

This is my absolute favorite way to eat breakfast in the summer and autumn, especially when heirloom tomatoes are available.

You probably can't see it but the tomato salad is beneath each of the fried eggs. I never make the salad the same way twice; this version contains minced shallots, minced ramp bulbs, diced heirloom tomatoes, diced Kirby cucumber, about 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano, sea salt and black pepper (to taste), about 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil and 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well, then set aside until ready for use. The tomato salad can be made an hour ahead but is best made just before you're ready to eat. The eggs were fried in unsalted butter, with sea salt and black pepper to taste.

All told, this takes about 20 minutes to make, including prep.