• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

Kay – gorgeous eggs – wish I could get mine like that consistently.

Xilimmns – both the French toasts are lovely.

Bruce – question re: eating the burger/tortilla thing. Do you knife and fork it? Or do you somehow pick it up and eat it like a sandwich. Weird question, I know, but I’m trying to help add protein to Mr. Kim’s breakfasts and remove carbs, so something like that on a tortilla might be a good way to go.

Mr. Kim’s breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_137791.jpg

Sliced fruit, sausage rolls and fried eggs. The eggs are another attempt at cooking Xilimmns’ eggs (cooked without turning and covering for the last bit), but I just couldn’t seem to get the hang of them. By the time the whites are set, the yolks are hard and if I pull them when the yolks are still shaky, the whites are snotty. Sigh. Will keep trying.

I went for scrambled:

med_gallery_3331_117_177045.jpg

These, on the other hand, turned out perfectly – set, but still nicely moist.

Bruce – question re: eating the burger/tortilla thing. Do you knife and fork it? Or do you somehow pick it up and eat it like a sandwich. Weird question, I know, but I’m trying to help add protein to Mr. Kim’s breakfasts and remove carbs, so something like that on a tortilla might be a good way to go.

I asked myself the same question. :wink: Ended up cutting the burger in half, and wrapping each half in the tortilla. With benefit of hindsight, it would have made more sense to break up the burger and cook it in a little sauce.

Duck egg, a poblano and mozzarella tamale from the farmers market, a caprese and some french fries left over from last night.

002.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Duck egg, a poblano and mozzarella tamale from the farmers market, a caprese and some french fries left over from last night.

002.JPG

Beautiful! I love mixing mozzarella with fresh tomato. I think that would go nice with this too!

"The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live."

Franchise Takeaway

Kay – love the idea of serving tamales with breakfast – I never thought of it, but they really make the perfect breakfast food.

percyn – what a perfectly cooked pancake! That is exactly how I want mine to look. And that monkey bread looks truly amazing.

Breakfast this morning was scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns and zucchini muffins

med_gallery_3331_117_310400.jpg

homemade peameal bacon , 6yr old white cheddar& toms on toasted fresh italian bread

peameal2.jpg

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

I don't have a picture handy, but one of my favorite breakfasts is 2 scrambled eggs with, JUST before taking off the heat, 1/2 a diced avodaco mixed in. The texture is sublime, totally decadent.

Here in Lancaster it is 10:30 at night and I am hankering for breakfast after looking at these photos.

I signed in to post a link to "Gogol Mogol - The Self-Cooking Egg Grenade" as they look like they would be fun to play with for a breakfast egg.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Ashen – that is some truly gorgeous peameal bacon. I am dying to try that stuff.

Stash – tomato salad looks fantastic.

Mr. Kim’s breakfast on Sunday was a mushroom and Jarlsberg omelet and sausage:

med_gallery_3331_117_108377.jpg

Breakfast today – Mr. Kim’s:

med_gallery_3331_117_271744.jpg

Mine was hash browns and a Spanglish sandwich minus the cheese:

med_gallery_3331_117_308666.jpg

med_gallery_3331_117_186666.jpg

Ashen – that is some truly gorgeous peameal bacon. I am dying to try that stuff.

It is amazingly easy to make actually. It takes 5 or 6 days but most of that is brining and drying out time. actual hands on time was less than 30 mins.

I followed this recipe out of the The Art of Living According to Joe Beef.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/Peameal-Bacon-368929

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

It is amazingly easy to make actually. It takes 5 or 6 days but most of that is brining and drying out time. actual hands on time was less than 30 mins.

I followed this recipe out of the The Art of Living According to Joe Beef.

http://www.epicuriou...al-Bacon-368929

Thanks so much, Ashen! I've bookmarked the recipe to try.

thank you all, for the kind words and compliments.

032.JPG

Poached wild turkey egg, with cumin-spiced potatoes, spinach and heirloom tomatoes

there really isn't a recipe for this because it's something that I tend to vary over time, depending on what's available. the basic template goes something like this:

toast black mustard seeds, crushed green cardamom pods and chiles in ghee, then add some combination of garlic, thinly sliced onions, cumin, turmeric, salt and/or ginger, to which I then add potatoes and greens. tomatoes if in season. maybe a squeeze of lemon or lime. cilantro to finish, if I have it on hand. top with a poached egg.

I had leftover heirloom tomatoes and chives, so used those for the garnish.

I'm on vacation until next Monday so there's going to be a lot of cooking at Casa Soba. :wink:

Soba, if you are on vacation, you should do a blog again :biggrin:

Country Sausage and Fried Egg on an English Muffin - from a restaurant who makes its own English Muffins - dense and crispy on the outside yet fluffy and yeasty on the inside.

IMG_1244.JPG

Scrambled Egg & Ham Salad on a Bagel

DSCN0715.JPG

Scrambled Egg w/Beef Rendang

DSCN0718.JPG

Scrambled Egg w/Smoked Salmon

DSCN0712.JPG

Some amazing meals in this topic. Today something just a little different. Two farm eggs fried in duck fat with a side of broccoli with crispy red onion and crumbled blue cheese:

Eggs and broccoli.jpg

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Corned buffalo brisket hash, with a duck egg. Not as good as it should have been for the effort it took to corn and cook the brisket. I'm done corning; the deli will have to do mine.

003.JPG

The corned brisket looked respectable enough when finally tender (48 hrs sous vide, 2 1/2 hours stovetop simmer). The homemade biscuits with bacon jam, however, were worth the slip off the gluten-free wagon.

001.JPG

This morning, country bacon, "Methodist" latkes (fried in bacon fat!), and a sunnyside up egg.

DSC_0009.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com