• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

KA – I’d love some directions for your toad in the hole – it is the best looking version I’ve ever seen!

percyn – my MIL makes dozens of the hot cross buns every Easter and delivers them in time for enjoying all Easter week. Our little 2 person house got 3 dozen! Luckily they freeze well. Last September we discovered a forgotten bag in the outside freezer and feasted for a week!

Kate – the smoked salmon on toast looks so fantastic. They were ‘sampling’ smoked salmon at Costco yesterday. It was actually really good quality, but they had topped the slices with some kind of sweet mustard sauce (maybe even honey mustard salad dressing?). Ick. And how I wish that we could get some of that heavenly thick cream that you had on your scones!

rotuts – gorgeous sausage. Every single Edwards product I’ve ever had has been stellar. We are lucky enough to live in VA and can find lots of Edwards’ pork in local markets.

Xilimmns – OK…I need a tutorial on how in the world you made those gorgeous eggs. Incredible. (And, of course, you're going to say SV - and I will have to bang my head against the wall in frustration :raz: ).

This morning – more Easter ham for breakfast :rolleyes: :

med_gallery_3331_114_54950.jpg

Ham and cheese scrambled eggs. The toast is from some bread that I got at a bakery in Old Town Alexandria on a recent trip. Perfect toasting bread.

K.S.:

Wow! A real Edwardian! I agree completely, and its in your market? How lucky and one get! Over time Ive tried various Porky Producers, and Ed's the best! My sister sends me a yearly 'gift' from them. She is trying to bump me off early for 'The Trust'

:laugh: (full disclosure: no trust. :huh: ) I get (from her) their breakfast sausage (suites me to a T) a slab of bacon and once and I while a Ham (on the hoof) I hang the ham and age it further, then cut it into chunks and use it that way.

glad to see some one else appreciated them.

Xilimmns – OK…I need a tutorial on how in the world you made those gorgeous eggs. Incredible. (And, of course, you're going to say SV - and I will have to bang my head against the wall in frustration :raz: ).

Hi Kim, guess what, no SV this time. My machine is busy cooking some short ribs :raz:

I cooked the egg using a small 6" fry pan with 1/2 tablespoon of melted butter. I usually crack the egg into a ramekin as it helps preserving the yolk intact and it is easier to transfer to the pan. Add the egg and cook for for about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon of water, cover the pan and cook for 2-3 more minutes. The vapor from the water will solidify the white and cook the yolk. Voilà you got yourself a runny yolk egg. To finish I used a muffin tin to cut the excess white and have a round egg. I hope you try this technique and let me know if it works.

Hi Kim, guess what, no SV this time. My machine is busy cooking some short ribs :raz:

I cooked the egg using a small 6" fry pan with 1/2 tablespoon of melted butter. I usually crack the egg into a ramekin as it helps preserving the yolk intact and it is easier to transfer to the pan. Add the egg and cook for for about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon of water, cover the pan and cook for 2-3 more minutes. The vapor from the water will solidify the white and cook the yolk. Voilà you got yourself a runny yolk egg. To finish I used a muffin tin to cut the excess white and have a round egg. I hope you try this technique and let me know if it works.

Thank you so much! I'm printing this out and will try the method as soon as I can (heading to the beach on Thursday, so it may be awhile). This is funny - I was so amazed by that egg, that until I read percyn's comment, I didn't even notice what it was sitting on! The Croissant Croque Madame IS a brilliant idea and I'm stealing it, too!

6953602950_41924b52d2_z.jpg

Spring vegetables, poached wild turkey egg

:wink:

Asparagus, morels and French breakfast radishes. The morels were sautéed in unsalted butter; the asparagus and radishes were briefly simmered and blanched, then combined with the morels. Sea salt, sage, chives and black pepper to finish, with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top.

edited to add the recipe in case anyone was curious.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

Following the lead of many on this thread . . .

Nice curry omelet, percyn. Wait, I thought we were all following your lead. :laugh:

Inspired by Kim, I tried shirred (baked) eggs for the first time. I can see this being a great brunch dish! Both were baked with smoked Gouda, scallion, butter, cream, smoked paprika, and cayenne, with a quick broil to crisp the panko

p500123888-4.jpg

Adding sliced tomato and a gratuitous yolk shot

p28657469-4.jpg

On buttered toast

p114099611-3.jpg

6953602950_41924b52d2_z.jpg

Spring vegetables, poached wild turkey egg

:wink:

Asparagus, morels and French breakfast radishes. The morels were sautéed in unsalted butter; the asparagus and radishes were briefly simmered and blanched, then combined with the morels. Sea salt, sage, chives and black pepper to finish, with freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top.

edited to add the recipe in case anyone was curious.

Thanks for the recipe soba - absolutely delicious! What do turkey eggs taste like? More like duck or just a big chicken egg?

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

I'd say it's a very intense eggy taste that's the complete opposite of all the dry, flavorless turkeys I've eaten over the years. :laugh:

I get them from Quattro's stand at USGM. They're available for about as long as ramps are, each spring.

.... special waiver for the egg rule :laugh:

But, but... Some of us violate that rule every single morning.....

I am afraid you have been eating breakfauxt :raz: .

Fair enough, but breakfast the way you eat it would be the end of me, quite literally. :hmmm:

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)