• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

One of the things I wanted to do this year was to learn how to start baking, so that's one food resolution fulfilled.

Another is to move away from the "necessity" of having eggs for breakfast. You could say, I want to broaden my horizons a little bit.

For example --

When blueberries are in season, you will see me using them quite a bit. On the menu is a blueberry soup, with polenta cakes or maybe sweet biscuits on the side. I'll be looking forward to that especially.

One of the things I wanted to do this year was to learn how to start baking, so that's one food resolution fulfilled.

Another is to move away from the "necessity" of having eggs for breakfast. You could say, I want to broaden my horizons a little bit.

For example --

When blueberries are in season, you will see me using them quite a bit. On the menu is a blueberry soup, with polenta cakes or maybe sweet biscuits on the side. I'll be looking forward to that especially.

Typically I am not a breakfast person; going out for breakfast or even brunch always seems like a waste of money to me, since most foods have limited appeal for me in the morning. I crave neither protein nor acidic fruit, and I am very happy with just a piece of toast. Once in a while I have a yen for steel cut oats. And I admit I love grits for breakfast, but that takes even longer than oats. When lacking any bread products I might make popovers, which I love, but that doesn't happen often; they take about 40 minutes start to finish. Sugary pastry need not apply.

The truth is I haven't the slightest interest in cooking breakfast. I just want to sit with my newspaper and have my toasted bread and tea. Once in a while I break the rules, but usually if someone else is cooking (rare) or I am on the road.

My experience is that some people want protein in the morning, so they prefer eggs or cereal with milk. To figure out how to get protein without eating eggs or making milk a main part of the meal takes some effort, especially if you are not interested in meat before lunchtime, which I am not. Although I do make one exception: if it's brunch and I'm eating out and shrimp'n'grits is on the menu, I go for it. Seems like if you are energetic and have the time, there is an endless amount of breakfast material out there. Since I don't want to bake in the morning, I often think ahead and make cornbread or biscuits for dinner, just so I can have the leftovers toasted the next morning. Toasted biscuits are awesome with some bitter marmalade. Then there's hashbrowns and hash or other potato-vegetable pan-fries. With onions, leftover potatoes, peppers, mushrooms, tomatoes in season etc, some great eggless meals can be had. Soba, if you made me a vegetable hash some morning I would be thrilled. Every vegetable you cook looks enlightened. And I wouldn't turn down cold blueberry soup on a hot summer morning.

Stash – your non-egg breakfast looks absolutely perfect to me. I could eat that at any time of the day or night!

percyn – your hash is gorgeous, but, as you’ll see below, your pancakes inspired me!

Mr. Kim surprised me with breakfast on Sunday. When I got up, he’d already been out to the bagel place and was starting my scrambled eggs! My breakfast:

med_gallery_3331_117_268204.jpg

ET bagel with cream cheese and bacon.

His eggs topped with spinach, jalapenos and tomatoes:

med_gallery_3331_117_47502.jpg

I almost never make breakfast just for myself. But percyn’s banana and walnut pancakes were haunting me this morning while I was trying to get some chores and pre-Easter cooking done. I couldn’t get them out of my head. So I made an easy version – pancakes with sliced bananas (piled on top and tucked in) with maple syrup: med_gallery_3331_117_167760.jpg

Absolutely delicious – and I’ll have breakfast for the rest of the week from this batch! Thanks, percyn!!!

I swear I never think about breakfast on weekday mornings unless I come to this thread. And then I OBSESS about it! Percyn’s ham and eggs look so good – makes me really happy that we made both lamb AND ham for Easter!

Easter breakfast:

med_gallery_3331_117_138806.jpg

Scrambled eggs, NC sausage and MIL’s Hot Cross Buns

And our eggs (since this seems the proper thread for it):

med_gallery_3331_122_128573.jpg

We got a late start dyeing our eggs this year and were too tired to do our usual creative efforts. All we could manage was a couple of rubber band eggs, a couple of crayon eggs and one half and half!

This may be my favorite thread on the gullet.

Here's a couple of March breakfasts that made it to the camera.

Garlic-fried rice with egg

Egg & garlic rice -Mar 2012.jpg

Scrambled eggs with mashed potato hash

Eggs & fried mashed spuds Mar 2012.jpg

Toad in a hole. Hmm. That shot needs color correction. Its really toasty brown, not fake-tan orange.

toad in the hole Mar 2012.jpg

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

Cold, leftover tartiflette with a poached egg. I also mashed up some potato kugel and fried it for a poor man's hash brown.

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

Gorgeous eggs, percyn, Kim and Kouign. Really, you're all very breakfast-talented.

Something a little odd, as usual, for me. Inspired by heidih's brilliant suggestion to use these Vietnamese rice crackers for ceviche, I made some salmon and scallop crudo..salmon with ponzu, sesame oil and sesame seeds, and the scallops with fish sauce, chilli, garlic, sugar and a little lazily shredded nori.

2012-04-12 at 11.39.00.jpg

Kim, I haven't had Hot Cross Buns in a looong time.

Kouign, nice breakfasts and glad this is your favorite thread.

RRO, that salmon and scallop crudo looks excellent, but for breakfast is missing the addition of a chopped hard boiled egg, which would make this an eggcellent breakfast :raz:

Thanks percyn..the location of this house is amazing..at high tide, the water laps against the back steps and you can literally fish out the window!

For breakfast today, I made scones with raspberry and damson jam, and thick cream to dollop. Just used yoghurt and sparkling water with the flour, no butter.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1334361203.220323.jpg

Edited by rarerollingobject (log)

Most of you have heard of the 'AMT' This is the ATT: after tax treat:

Breakfast.jpg

Bruegger's sesame bagel, lightly toasted; 'Creamed' TJ's goat cheese w green onion; Edward's breakfast sausage. Home roast 'drip' - Guatemala from Sweet Maria. Enough animal fat and salt for a week!

http://www.sweetmarias.com/coffee.central.guatemala.php?source=side

http://virginiatraditions.com/sausage.aspx

Edited by rotuts (log)

Something really simple here - cheese sandwich and sliced Guaytambo Abridor. The fruit deserves a mention; just as people from Georgia are sometimes called "peaches" and NYC is The Big Apple, people from Tungurahua are sometimes called Guaytambos, and Ambato city is El Guaytambo Grande. So what's a Guaytambo? It's a specific type of clingstone peach that has green skin and almost orange flesh when ripe, and that is only grown in this province. They're in season right now - yummy!

Brekkie.jpg

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)