• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast! The most important meal of the day (2012)

ddelima

percyn – as always, I could happily tuck into any of your fine breakfasts

xilimms – that’s a beauty!

Easy-over eggs on potato rolls, topped with feta, fried shallot, cayenne, S&P, and Tapatio salsa . . .

p409888113-4.jpg

. . . and, as required by eGullet bylaws, the “money shot” :wink:

p393936794-4.jpg

The first strawberries of the season are in here in Carlsbad. So I made jam this morning. I'll have toast and jam for breakfast and probably more jam and whatever I can find to put it on all day long. Or just eat it with a spoon.

Jam 2-6-12.jpg

Edited by Stefferdoos (log)

Over-easy (barely; I almost let it go too long!)egg, bacon, waffle made with masa harina. Sliced tomatos grown locally in a greenhouse, from the Farmers' Market.

023.JPG

After watching the dog watching me hungrily,

017.JPG

I decided to make a version for her. Bacon needed to be used, and hey, might as well fry two eggs as one.

019.JPG

We're both happy.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Xilimmns, did you just compress the Peaches or did you cook them as well?

I actually compressed and cooked them for 15 minutes at 73C. Next time I will cook a bit more hoping to extract a little more of the juices that I can use as a sauce for the french toast. Since these were quite firm peaches the cooking time softened them nicely.

The first strawberries of the season are in here in Carlsbad.

Strawberries are already coming in!? It's my favorite food!

I was a bit surprised too. Almost a month earlier than last year. Probably because winter was so much sunnier than it was last year.

percyn – love the looks of your Mexican eggs Benedict!

Xilimmns – gorgeous peaches! I’m not sure those would have made it to the waffles in my house!

kayb – I make cornbread waffles for pulled pork, but never thought to put an egg on top. Great idea. And those sweet puggie eyes :wub: !

Saturday breakfast:

med_gallery_3331_117_157767.jpg

Eggs, biscuits, potato pancakes and canned corned beef. Canned corned beef is one of my guilty pleasures, leftover from childhood. What can I say, I love the stuff.

percyn – no, you are right – the canned corned beef is in no way comparable to the real stuff. But, if you don’t even really think of it as corned beef, it’s pretty good :wink: !

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_117_175513.jpg

Baked eggs with Cheddar, bacon and chives and Benton’s bacon. I overcooked the eggs (they took much less time than usual :angry: ) but they still tasted great. Such an easy dish to make. And it’s a great one when you have company, because you can get your mise all done and just pop them in the oven on a tray when you are ready to eat.

An example of a typical breakfast.

Unsweetened black coffee, nice goat's cheese (Holy Goat La Luna), olives and spelling tests.

IMG_0625.jpg

Edited by ChrisTaylor (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Oooh. I WANT that chile sauce.

The sauce is good stuff. I’ll let the proprietor know that he may be missing a market segment. :smile:

Parsi soft-scrambled eggs on toast – with ghee-fried onions, garlic-ginger paste, Thai bird chiles, and cilantro. Plates were licked, and licked clean.

p892114447-4.jpg

Parsi soft-scrambled eggs on toast – with ghee-fried onions, garlic-ginger paste, Thai bird chiles, and cilantro. Plates were licked, and licked clean.

Ahhh... Lasan Nu Edu (Garlic Eggs). Where did you get this recipe from Bruce? Try them with some ramps in spring - easy and delicious. My great uncle used to eat these everyday for breakfast, along with 6-7 other things.

Where did you get this recipe from Bruce? Try them with some ramps in spring - easy and delicious. My great uncle used to eat these everyday for breakfast, along with 6-7 other things.

percyn – Recipe adapted from My Bombay Kitchen (with considerable inspiration from your luscious soft-scrambled eggs).

I have yet to see ramps around here, but I will keep an eye out at the spring farmer’s markets. Thanks for the tip.

I have to ask - was your uncle making the "6-7 other things" himself? If so, he was far more energetic in the morning than I am. :laugh:

mm84321,

Good to see you on this thread. What kind of egg is that? Looks like a custard or bisque.

More Fried Egg - this time with Chorizo and Hollandaise on an English Muffin. Sort of like a Mexican Eggs Benedict.

DSCN0209.JPG

DSCN0210.JPG

Breakfast Burrito - Chorizo, Scrambled Eggs, Salsa, Hot Sauce

DSCN0199.JPG

DSCN0200.JPG

love all of your eggs breakfast recipes! but your breakfast Burrito looks REALLY good! and I'm not a burrito type of person.

yum!

Edited by heidih
Fix quote (log)

Where did you get this recipe from Bruce? Try them with some ramps in spring - easy and delicious. My great uncle used to eat these everyday for breakfast, along with 6-7 other things.

percyn – Recipe adapted from My Bombay Kitchen (with considerable inspiration from your luscious soft-scrambled eggs).

I have yet to see ramps around here, but I will keep an eye out at the spring farmer’s markets. Thanks for the tip.

I have to ask - was your uncle making the "6-7 other things" himself? If so, he was far more energetic in the morning than I am. :laugh:

Ahh...my Bombay Kitchen is a fine book....and thanks for the compliment.

My grandfather's brother was a bachelor who lived a few buildings away, so he would stop by around 9am by when the servants and women of the family would have made him these eggs, roti, toasts, butter, jam, fresh cream, tea, papads. As kids we used to make fun of that, but now I see he was just another person who loved his breakfast...like me :wink:

Edited by percyn (log)