• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

This was a marinated wild Morning Dove ( Chianti/Rosemary/Thyme/Parsley ), I dusted with flour/S/P after a few days marinade, sauted in Butter and EVOO . After cooking..I rested the dove and thru in some minced sage till it stopped sizzling dress the dove!!

6130528033_87e860916f.jpg

I had intended to get a few more dove so this was an experiment!! Turned out pretty good!!

Its good to have Morels

Had a dinner party last night. It was Spanish themed. Here were some of the dishes on offer:

original.jpg

Spanish style ribeye steak with Romesco sauce. Sous-vide then browned with a MAPP blowtorch.

original.jpg

Stuffed lamb cutlets with Salsa Verde. The stuffing was made from lamb mince, paprika, cumin, and nutmeg. Placed on the outside of the lamb cutlet, then wrapped with caul and finished on the barbecue.

original.jpg

Grilled cod with olive tapenade and cherry tomatoes.

original.jpg

Sous-vide carrots with mint, cumin, and sherry vinegar.

original.jpg

Broad beans with Iberico Jamon. This was a favourite.

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Keith_W - that dinner array looks and sounds incredibly flavor packed. I love proteins with bold flavors so that would all work for me, but I am wondering if you rounded things out with breads or something more starchy - something to sop up all the lovely sauces and saucy bits?

dcarch, fantastic presentation as usual.

mgaretz, beautiful ribs.

Keith_W, everything looks excellent, can't decide if I'd rather have the steak or the lamb.

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

Gnocchi made with potatoes, parmesan and Jidori egg yolks.

Cooked brown butter, fried sage in it and strained/cooled. Whipped into a boiling tablespoon of water to make buerre fondue.

Good stuff.....I'm stuffed.

287068_10150456058939908_585839907_11015535_685930032_o.jpg

Edited by ScottyBoy (log)

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Tonight I made a "who knows what" fried rice. It was chicken breast that I had basted in hoisin sauce and cooked on the BBQ, basmati rice, scallions, peas, carrots, egg and cashews. The sauce was a mix of soy, hoisin and cream sherry. Nothing too spicy as those were my orders from the rest of the family!

fried-rice.jpg

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

heidih - thank you! I did serve some sourdough bread with dinner, but that was store bought so I didn't post it. I also made two other dishes - a mushroom dish, and a roast vegetable salad. Unfortunately, the pictures didn't turn out so I decided not to post.

Scottyboy - sure! Join my dinner party club - you host one, I host one, and around the ring it goes :)

Dakki - thank you!

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

Keith W, how does one get on your guest list?

Nolnacs, enjoying your blog, though it makes me sad; I was scheduled to be on a plane right NOW headed for Philadelphia, and the Reading Terminal Market was certainly on my list of places to go while I was there. I had to cancel my trip, so I'll enjoy vicariously through your blog.

Last night, I made a Sichuan stirfry with zucchini, yellow squash, eggplant, carrots, peas and turkey meatballs I'd made and baked earlier. It was awful. Actually, the veggies were pretty good but the meatballs, in which I had used five-spice powder because I thought it would be good, were miserable. We ate the carryout Gyoza and sushi from the Japanese restaurant down the street we'd picked up to go with it.

Earlier in the week, and it's a terrible photo, but not reflective of how good the food was, I wanted German comfort food, so I made Austrian red cabbage, German potato salad and bratwurst in mustard cream sauce. It was marvelous.

001.JPG

One night this week, it was a shepherd's pie, because the teenaged son had requested it.

003.JPG

And last weekend, which I never got around to posting, it was flank steak, chipotle fried corn, zucchini with barley stuffing, and potato skins.

008.JPG

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Welcome back to travelers Dejah and kayb! And thanks, everyone for the nice comments on the Geek Feast! It’s always fun to do and, yes, Heidi, when given the choice every year, they vote for me :blush: !

Mitch – those roasted peaches were lovely. I’ve never seen smoked ricotta. Sounds amazing.

MsDivinaLoca – those Peking duck tacos look and sound fantastic. They also sound like a major project for someone like me, but goodness they are making me drooley! And your meatball and noodles is just home on a plate! Lovely.

Genkinaonna – the corn soup and fritters pushed every one of my buttons. I made slaw and hot dog chili tonight for chili dogs and fries with football, but what I really want is a bowl of that soup and a BIG pile of those fritters!

Paul – your Caprese salad is stunning!

percyn – gorgeous pork! And I love it in the ramen. The ‘battle tomato’ was beautiful – I’d have loved to be a judge for that one! How fortunate you are to have a group of friends that share your interest in and love of good food. I don’t have more than one or two local friends that I could serve any of those dishes to.

dcarch – I like pollock a lot, too, but don’t see it very often as filets. What are the sauces on your ‘canvas’?

Norm – those roasted tomatoes are beautiful and I can only imagine how wonderful they tasted on the pizza!

David – I love the monkfish, but those oysters and grits are absolutely fantastic looking. My chili dog and French fry dinner is getting less and less interesting.

Kay – regarding the pintos – the chow chow is for serving on top of the prepared beans. And I have to confess that not only is it store bought, but it’s from Cracker Barrel! We eat there every so often and Mr. Kim gets the pintos and cornbread usually. We discovered that the chow chow is VERY good and now keep a jar of it in the fridge at all times. BTW – that’s a beautiful shepherd’s pie – care to share the recipe?

Bruce – please tell Mrs. C how captivating that glisten-y, gorgeous watermelon and tomato salad is! I can almost taste it. And that pulled pork of yours looks pretty delicious, too!

Keith – lucky guests! Everything looks wonderful. If there is lamb on offer, I can usually take or leave steak, but I’d have to make room for both with your meal!

Mark – good Lord, what delicious looking fried rice. Now I REALLY don’t want chili dogs. What kind of rice is that? It looks so long and spindly. And good.

And, once again, not too much cooking this week – at least not for US! I did some cooking for a retirement breakfast for one of Mr. Kim’s co-workers on Friday and I have a chocolate cake cooling for a co-worker of mine for tomorrow.

We spent Labor Day weekend at Momma and Ted’s helping clean up from Hurricane Irene and getting some things in order for the move. Mr. Kim came home a day early to do some cleaning up of our own from the storm and surprised Jessica and I with chili:

med_gallery_3331_114_87853.jpg

A recent dinner:

med_gallery_3331_114_101763.jpg

Lamb chops, couscous and spinach salad with orange supremes, candied pecans and bleu cheese.

Today, quail with a wine berry sauce

Quail 002.JPG yellow rice with toasted cumin seeds. I have not posted for quite a while - been to busy at the Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen. Check it out on Facebook if you get a chance.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

Mark – good Lord, what delicious looking fried rice. Now I REALLY don’t want chili dogs. What kind of rice is that? It looks so long and spindly. And good.

Thanks Kim. It was basmati. I had made it a few days before and used the chilled leftovers for the fried rice. We all really like that rice and buy it in 20lb bags at Costco, so we tend to use that for anything rice - except sushi.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

This was a marinated wild Morning Dove ( Chianti/Rosemary/Thyme/Parsley ), I dusted with flour/S/P after a few days marinade, sauted in Butter and EVOO . After cooking..I rested the dove and thru in some minced sage till it stopped sizzling dress the dove!!

6130528033_87e860916f.jpg

I had intended to get a few more dove so this was an experiment!! Turned out pretty good!!

Paul, how do you procure such a bird? Pluck or peel?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Kim, hope the damage was not too bad. That chili looks good.

Jmahl, nice Quail

Kayb, I love shepard's pie

Mark, your sous vide BBQ ribs have inspired me to try them too.

Yesterday's dinner was my own version of a Korean inspired meal.

Korean BBQ chicken, jasmine rice, fermented red chili pepper paste, kimchi, piece of braised pork belly and slow cooked egg. May not be pretty, but it was delicious.

CIMG0150-1200.jpg

Pete

Defiantly pluck him.. I just wish I had a few more.. but a bad yr for the Mid-West/ dove hunt. WE had a ton of big storms that hit us week after week, pushing the wild birds out. Usually I can get a good dozen or two

Thanks

Paul

Its good to have Morels

Pete

Defiantly pluck him.. I just wish I had a few more.. but a bad yr for the Mid-West/ dove hunt. WE had a ton of big storms that hit us week after week, pushing the wild birds out. Usually I can get a good dozen or two

Thanks

Paul

So one hunts them with a shotgun, like a duck?

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Peter,

Sorry, Yeah, we hunt doves similar to duck hunting. We shoot a smaller shot about 7 1/2 - 8 shot. Usually no decoys.

The habitat we are looking for is, look for water ( creek/Ponds ), dead trees ( bird love to flock to it ) and food. Usually in the mid west ( here ) its hemp plants :cool:

Paul

Its good to have Morels

Peter,

Sorry, Yeah, we hunt doves similar to duck hunting. We shoot a smaller shot about 7 1/2 - 8 shot. Usually no decoys.

The habitat we are looking for is, look for water ( creek/Ponds ), dead trees ( bird love to flock to it ) and food. Usually in the mid west ( here ) its hemp plants :cool:

Paul

Not many around here in Kansas, either due to NO water anywhere. :( My husband got around a dozen or so. I managed to freeze a few for later use.

My favorite way to eat them is wrapped in bacon, stuffed with jalapenos from the garden and grilled. YUM.

Kim, I didn't really have a recipe. Sauteed half an onion, some garlic, about 3 or 4 carrots. Threw in a pound of grass-fed ground beef and browned it. Added a little salt and pepper, a little fresh rosemary. Added a splash of red wine out of the glass I was drinking :wub: and some beef broth. Let that cook down while I mashed the potatos, some Yukon Golds I'd peeled, cut in chunks and boiled with seasoned salt. Mashed those with butter and a little heavy cream, put in a big plastic bag. Stirred a single serve packet of frozen green peas. Put the ground beef mixture in a pie plate, cut off the corner of the bag and piped the potatos on top, then smoothed them out and baked it.

Easy, relatively quick, teenaged son loves it. Me, I'd put some cheese in the potatos, but he disapproves. Go figger.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

Mrs. Nopales made this bird for dinner last night:

photo%252520%25252855%252529.JPG

It was roasted over fennel, carrots & onions... a little seeded baguette to soak up the juices from the pan, some vino & lemon bar with blackberries from the back yard.

I'm sure that chicken was delighted with her destiny! Be all that you can be! :raz:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Keith – I forgot to say how much I love those ‘woven’ glass platters – are they new or antiques?

Kay – thanks for the help on the shepherd’s pie. I like cheese on mine, too.

For our football feast on Sunday, I made chili dogs with slaw, French fries and baked beans. Who says you have to light the grill to get good hot dogs:

med_gallery_3331_114_146270.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_93980.jpg

The beans were canned ones that I fixed up with onions, mustard and BBQ sauce because I was lazy and the fries were frozen because I was lazy and because I like them :P .