• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

My 83rd and 84th Larousse Gastronomique recipes. The first two for 2011.

Supremes of chicken a blanc:

supremeablanc.jpg

(NOTE FROM MANAGEMENT: This topic is a continuation of Dinner! 2010)

Edited by Chris Hennes
Added management note (log)

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Happy New Year to everyone.

Very long-time lurker (more like the Rip van Winkle of lurkers) and first time poster- now I have a camera I thought I'd dip a toe into the Dinner thread with my Christmas dinner. Fairly traditional English Christmas meal- nothing like what I grew up with which was roast goose, red cabbage and boiled new potatoes in honour of my mother's German heritage. So here it is... and it's nice to meet you all :smile:

DSCF0275 - Copy.JPG

Christmas Eve Nibbles and Bits- too knackered after cooking/cleaning/shopping frenzy. Fancy schmancy cold cuts, lovely cheeses, cheese biscuits, Turkish bread, crudites, pate- all the usual suspects.

DSCF0305 - Copy.JPG

Christmas Day starter- Smoked trout rilletes with capers, cornichons and horseradish, homemade melba toasts, herb salad and fennel seed vinagrette.

DSCF0307.JPG

DSCF0320.JPG

Roast turkey and trimmings (including my Jewish dad's legendary Christmas sausagemeat stuffing)

DSCF0350.JPG

Winter pavlovas with apricot-vanilla mousse, pomegranate, Cape gooseberries, passion fruit, candied hazelnuts and my first attempt at spun sugar- coz that's what you want to be doing in the middle of everything else, spinning sugar.

Please also accept the standard apologies for poor photography skills and presentation that never looks as good on the plate as it does in my head.

You folks have been seriously busy. I am embarrassed to post my meager meals!

Bruce – thanks for the directions for the pork chops – I’m pretty sure that I have the Bittman book around somewhere – I’ll search it out after we get all the decorations tucked in for the year!

PopsicleToze – that pork sounds truly awesome! And I LOVE the imprint on your pie crusts!

Mjx – I’m sorry that your crepe experience was such a disaster (WHY do people insist on blathering when you are trying to concentrate?), but I’m afraid that it gave me the giggles. I SO identified!

Soba – I love your food shots, too! They are what I’d LIKE to have mine look like. I’ve decided that I need a digital photography class – to get all I can out of my camera. Not just for food – actually my food shots turn out better than my people shots!

David – crab au gratin! One of my very favorite dishes!

Shelby – girl, that pizza is amazing! I am still stuffed from dinner, but would love a piece of that.

Lola – Welcome! And what a beautiful first outing on eG! Everything looks delicious, but that Pavlova is truly gorgeous! And you write good, too – are you a blogger?

Catching up with some meals that I’ve made since I’ve been MIA –

Marinated London broil:

med_gallery_3331_114_274097.jpg

With (of course) salad:

med_gallery_3331_114_94362.jpg

Fries and Dorie’s luscious brioche rolls:

med_gallery_3331_114_234872.jpg

Taco spiced panko fried chicken breasts, Spanish rice (from a microwave package – I SERIOUSLY did not actually cook more than a few things in December) and a quick black bean/corn/salsa side:

med_gallery_3331_114_64878.jpg

Our decorate the tree fondue dinner –

Veggies and dips:

med_gallery_3331_114_287166.jpg

Beef, potatoes and sauces (béarnaise, horseradish, BBQ, Daddies and steak sauce):

med_gallery_3331_114_221379.jpg

Asiago bread and horseradish-cheddar spread:

med_gallery_3331_114_201199.jpg

Chocolate fondue for dessert:

med_gallery_3331_114_139696.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_154636.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_194918.jpg

Salad, chicken cordon bleu subs and green beans:

med_gallery_3331_114_147397.jpg

med_gallery_3331_114_256087.jpg

Breakfast this morning:

med_gallery_3331_114_13191.jpg

Sausage and egg on a buttered, toasted bun

Dinner tonight was our traditional New Year’s day meal:

P1060540.JPG

Ham, black eyed peas, collards, scalloped tomatoes and cornbread.

The tomatoes looking a little more attractive:

P1060539.JPG

And a salad for Mr. Kim who is not overly fond of black eyed peas:

P1060537.JPG

Breakfast this morning:

Resized to 86% (was 650 x 488) - Click image to enlarge

Sausage and egg on a buttered, toasted bun

That is just one of the most special and wonderful things I have seen in 2011.

A buddy of mine went hunting and had the decency to donate a few pounds of the ground venison to my fridge. So I cooked it up with some garlic and bacon and such, stuffed it in a poblano and roasted it. And then topped it with a batch of tomato sauce stuff I threw together.

garlic and venison stuffed poblano.JPG

jmolinari, beautiful pizzas! What is an LBE?

Rico, mmm, venison chile relleno.

A family favorite from Dancing Shrimp: garlic-black bean pan-fried fish, served with jasmine rice, cucumbers, and green salad. Tilapia fillets were deep-fried to brown, set aside, and then finished with the sauce. Cooking the tilapia in two stages yielded a beautifully tender-firm texture.

The aromatic sauce includes fermented black beans, ginger, cilantro roots, dark soy, rice wine, black pepper, cayenne, sugar, and a head of garlic. I’m posting this here because unfortunately the Thai cooking thread has been dormant lately.

Garlic-black bean pan-fried tilapia

GarlicBBfish11-01.jpg

Two-part dinner tonight. We heated up some chilli with leftover rice before younger son’s swim meet. If any chile survives the cook-off tomorrow, I will get a picture.

After the swim meet Mrs. C made smoothies for the boys, but I snacked on chayote al vapor, made with Serrano chiles, garlic, basil, feta cheese, and a squeeze of lime juice. Over the years my versions of this dish have strayed considerably from the Diana Kennedy's traditional recipe.

Chayote11-04.JPG