• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Mmmm, lasagna . . .

Slow-braised beef with potatoes – seasoned with ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick, dried chiles, dark and light soy sauce, rice vinegar, and chile-bean paste. The potatoes absorbed the flavors of the sauce nicely. Served over jasmine rice.

Stir-fried green beans and red bell peppers with fermented black beans – with sliced garlic, rice vinegar, and sesame oil.

gallery_42956_2536_88539.jpg

Hi everybody. It has been years since I posted on this thread. Lately I've enjoyed very much your dinners. I have a baby and a preschooler and dinner times can be challenging. I'd like to partecipate when I can and if I manage to photograph our food.

Last night we had anticuchos, veal heart kebabs from J. McLagan's Odd bits and a salad of quinoa, celariac and apples by Y. Ottolenghi. Unfortunately we cannot use a charcoal grill or gas in my building so we have to resort to a cast iron grill but I really love heart texture.

anticuchos.JPG

quinoa apple celeriac.JPG

My son's cousin is here from California to visit her dad and other family for a couple of weeks. He was visiting her at noon and brought back some Korean food for us. There are some yaki mandu and dulkgogi (?sp) we also have a couple of flat iron steaks in the refrigerator and he is going to make some bahn mi sandwiches.

The gorgeous and cheap portobellos have been calling to me the last few days. Stuffed mushrooms need some revival props. This rendition included hot Italian sausage, egg white, crumbled herbed cornbread, lots of fragrant parsley, and a generous amount of feta. I am still sighing with contentment a good hour later.

060.JPG

A 'salad' assembled from a pre-mixed (but not dressed or fake--just, basically, chopped vegetables) coleslaw, seared lamb fillet, sliced white onion and tomato. At some point I'll get around to assembling dessert: mango, fig, passionfruit, apricot and a glass of '85 Armagnac.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Sorry to have been mia in this thread for so long. So many awesome looking meals here this fall!

Dinner last night,

ChickenParm-01.jpg

started with a thick layer of marinara in a baking dish

ChickenParm-04.jpg

which was topped with crispy breaded chicken breasts (I used panko and fried the chicken in olive oil);

ChickenParm-05.jpg

then the chicken was topped with a lot of grated parmesan and mozzarella and was baked in a 400F oven.

ChickenParm-06.jpg

Baked just until the cheese melted and browned a bit, about 20 minutes.

ChickenParm-07.jpg

*shakes snow-globe*

Is this thing on? ;)

A few recent meals:

6533181599_d3cfceb816_z.jpg

"Fusion" spinach salad -- spinach, chanterelles and rocambole garlic, sautéed in French butter, with ricotta cheese, toasted nori and ebi furikake

6533182079_dbcee24e39_z.jpg

Mediterranean-style fish and shellfish stew, partially adapted from this NYT recipe

6541691847_aca347cb0d_z.jpg

Yellow wax beans, with lemon, garlic, Italian parsley and mint

6541692139_c824958b4b_z.jpg

Broiled cod, with cranberry-orange-almond relish; roasted potatoes and carrots; spinach and greenhouse tomatoes cooked in olive oil

6547290497_f8a4cafe05_o.jpg

"Eggs n' things" -- Onion and leek, cooked until meltingly soft, and combined with roasted cauliflower; topped with a poached egg and some salmon roe.

6552649105_88fbaa5034_z.jpg

Left: shrimp with garlic and parsley

Right: warm chanterelle, fennel and cauliflower salad

6552656959_605431ab41_z.jpg

Penne with fennel, mint and breadcrumbs (adapted from Mario B's "Simple Italian Food", with a few changes)

*shakes snow-globe*

Is this thing on? ;)

A few recent meals:

6533181599_d3cfceb816_z.jpg

"Fusion" spinach salad -- spinach, chanterelles and rocambole garlic, sautéed in French butter, with ricotta cheese, toasted nori and ebi furikake

6533182079_dbcee24e39_z.jpg

Mediterranean-style fish and shellfish stew, partially adapted from this NYT recipe

6541691847_aca347cb0d_z.jpg

Yellow wax beans, with lemon, garlic, Italian parsley and mint

6541692139_c824958b4b_z.jpg

Broiled cod, with cranberry-orange-almond relish; roasted potatoes and carrots; spinach and greenhouse tomatoes cooked in olive oil

6547290497_f8a4cafe05_o.jpg

"Eggs n' things" -- Onion and leek, cooked until meltingly soft, and combined with roasted cauliflower; topped with a poached egg and some salmon roe.

6552649105_88fbaa5034_z.jpg

Left: shrimp with garlic and parsley

Right: warm chanterelle, fennel and cauliflower salad

6552656959_605431ab41_z.jpg

Penne with fennel, mint and breadcrumbs (adapted from Mario B's "Simple Italian Food", with a few changes)

Soba, I've missed you! I hope all is well and these meals are making me hungry!

Very nice meals, Soba! I particularly like the shrimp dish and the poached egg and roe.

I thought I picked an easy meal but it was sort of a flop. I made the roasted quails in pomegranate molasses from Ad hoc at home and sweet potatoes with maple and pecan from Ottolenghi's book. I'm used to cook quails the Italian way:they need to be fully cooked. My (American Chinese born) husband didn't like the "undercooked" quail, he thought both the quails and the sweet potatoes were too sweet (I agree) and for him it was a dish too complicated to put together.

My parents thought the flavors were very good, just the quail was not cooked enough. My mom cooked one quail for my son, her usual way, and indeed I think it was much more enjoyable for my taste as well. Maybe I could put the quails on a spit in the oven and baste with the pomegranate glaze.

quails and sweet potatoes.JPG

Edited by Franci (log)

Tonight we decided to open the paletta de pata negra 5 jotas we got for Christmas, so we got that for appetizer and then breaded sweetbreads and artichockes.

Pata negra is definitely on my top ten (or maybe five) highly rewarding foods. Very happy. I'm going to miss that when we move back to the US

animelle fritte.JPG

paletta.JPG

paletta sliciing.JPG

Oh god that ham! I was sitting down with a friend talking about some of the jam I brought back from San Sebastian a couple years ago.

There's been talk of sweetbreads on the forum lately, makes me want to get some and fry them up golden delicious like those...

Sleep, bike, cook, feed, repeat...

Chef Facebook HQ Menlo Park, CA

My eGullet Foodblog

Traditional, in our family, Christmas Eve prime rib roast - with some chicken fingers and Butter chicken for the two who prefer chicken to beef... :smile: It was a 5-rib cooked at 225F for 5 hours - pulled at 140F and rested for 35 minutes while Yorkies cooked...

Ori&food568.jpg

Dessert was 9 different kinds of baking - exchanged with different members of the family. No trifle this year. Saving the extra calories for another big meal and cheesecake tomorrow!

Merry Xmas everyone!

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah-What a lovely holiday meal! And what a beautiful little girl helping you eat it!

Ravioli for dinner last night: Chicken, feta, and spinach with alfredo sauce, 5 cheese with marinara, and (my favorite) potato, mascarpone, and proscuitto with white wine butter sauce, roasted tomatoes, and arugula. I only got pics of the last ones, the others got devoured too quickly.

potato rav.jpg

And for dessert, chocolate chestnut buche de noel...which was so good for something I put together on the spur of the moment when I realized I was out of butter and couldn't make the cake I was planning on making...

chestnut buche de noel.jpg

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Cheese Cake Bessie\

Today beef bourguignon that was prepared yesterday but oh so good today.

Seasons Greetings to all and keep up the great cooking from around the world - it is truly wonderful.

The Philip Mahl Community teaching kitchen is now open. Check it out. "Philip Mahl Memorial Kitchen" on Facebook. Website coming soon.

36 hours ago I was not planning to do anything for Christmas but Cassie and Charles wanted at least a little something and made suggestions. Cassie wanted roast chicken, Charles wanted honey teriyaki game hens so I made both, then more "suggestions" followed, then they decided to invited some of their friend and it ended up as you see below. I had everything grouped for a picture, then the kids came and started setting the table and spaced everything out.

DSCF3896.jpg

The roast chicken

DSCF3892.jpg

the vegetable tray with dip- somebody ate the star I cut from celery before I could take the picture

DSCF3891.jpg

DSCF3888.jpg

Great looking dinners!

Here's what we had.

IMG_1652.JPG

Xmas lunch. Smoked pork tenderloin, blackened onions, cranzins, candied walnuts and spinach with a cranberry vinaigrette. Great smoke ring! I cold smoked the pork and then cooked sous vide. This way I got more smoke into the meat I think.

IMG_1659.JPG

Dinner table

IMG_1654.JPG

Potatoes au gratin

IMG_1671.JPG

Red wine/soy infused onions. A topping for the beef filet that I forgot to photo

IMG_1662.JPG

Dinner rolls that didn't rise adequately, but tasted fine.

IMG_1665.JPG

Kale

No photo of the whipped smoked sweet potatoes.

Edited by gfweb (log)