• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2011

ChrisTaylor

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all your kind words.

dcarch - beautiful presentation as usual. One question - how did you cook the baby carrots so that the stems were still green? Normally when I try that they turn an unappetizing dark olive colour.

Simple, I cook them in the microwave with only the carrot part covered.

dCarch - I love it! While not practicing, we've got Jewish heritage and I love your take on the meal.--

There is a personal meaning for me for the meal, not a really religious one.

The six carrots symbolize the Six Day War, in which a friend of my fought front line.

Survived the war without a scratch, but was killed by a drunken driver in NYC on his birthday, which was on the sixth day of the sixth month of the year.

dcarch

dcarch - beautiful presentation as usual. One question - how did you cook the baby carrots so that the stems were still green? Normally when I try that they turn an unappetizing dark olive colour.

I am sorry, I don't understand. If you cover the carrot part only - won't the uncovered part cook quicker? What do you use to cover it?

There is no love more sincere than the love of food - George Bernard Shaw

I am sorry, I don't understand. If you cover the carrot part only - won't the uncovered part cook quicker? What do you use to cover it?

The carrots were covered with a plastic container without covering the greens. When they were microwaved, the heat was retained inside the container and steam cooked the carrots while the greens were relatively un-cooked.

dcarch

I love brussel sprouts! It's really an acquired taste for me as I hated them as a child.

Dinner a few nights ago was leftover short ribs (in the background; details in the Les Halles thread here) served with crispy brussel sprouts drizzled with a balsamic-port reduction. The brussels sprouts were inspired by a dish from a local San Diego restaurant (recipe here). They are cooked very briefly so they don't develop the bitter taste that can make them unpalatable.

6229920680_a25d5d7571_z.jpg

New little salad to plant root vegetables in as they come into season. Got inspired by a recipe from the Noma cookbook but as always made my own recipes for the components...

Edible soil is

rye flower

cocoa powder

almond meal

dried and coffee grindered red beats

melted butter

salt

superfine sugar

cooked in the oven for 4 hours at 200 and run through a fine screen

6228488563_07ba2c193f_z.jpg

Retrograde potatoes blended with cream, champagne vinegar and butter then charged in an iSi.

Then blanched veggies, roasted chantrelles and water cress.

6235999667_b0e7bc5cf3_z.jpg

O M G I love this!

Such an amazing thread

Great job everyone, you are all constant source of inspiration :wink:

Had some leftovers from our Thanksgiving and decided to try a recipe from "Dinners, Drive-ins, and Dives"

Take your leftover turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing. Lighty mix, form balls and dip in your favorite beer batter.

Theraws-2.jpg

Beerbatter.jpg

Deep fry @ 350 til golden brown and served with your leftover gravy :wub:

Turkeydinnerplated.jpg

Very tasty :smile:

Shane

Had some leftover sous-vide cooked beef. Found this recipe in John Torode's "Beef" book (bit of adjusting as usual).

Slow cooked beef with Mache Salad, home-made pickled beetroot, and horseradish creme fraiche.

beef and mache salad.jpg

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Had some leftover sous-vide cooked beef. Found this recipe in John Torode's "Beef" book (bit of adjusting as usual).

Slow cooked beef with Mache Salad, home-made pickled beetroot, and horseradish creme fraiche.

Nick, that looks lovely..clean flavours, very refined.

Less refined is my 'dinner'. I actually made this and ate it Sunday morning, but since I've been up all night on conference calls, it's effectively my dinner and thus I post it here!

KFC; Korean Fried Chicken wings (well, nearly - oven-baked as I hate deep-frying). Crispy and toasty, tossed in a sauce of gochujang chilli paste, minced ginger and garlic, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and rice vinegar. I love the slow-burn of gochujang, there's no other chilli flavour quite like it.

2011-10-16 at 12.48.21.jpg

Pizza dinner party: I supplied the seafood, meat lovers, and vegetarian stuffed-crust pizzas, my upstairs neighbours supplied their appetites. I'm dead on my feet - pictures tomorrow.

Edited by Panaderia Canadiense (log)

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

Fish'n'chips for supper, with curry sauce and peas.

I saw a recipe in Aug. Bon Apetite - Eggplant fries and thought I'd give it a try. Followed the instructions but made the mistake of drying the "fries" too much before tossing them in the rice flour mixture. The first few ended up without "batter" but still good. The second batch, I added a little soda water to the rice flour mixture to make a batter. The eggplant fries were crispy on the outside and buttery soft inside. The za'tar in the rice flour was nice.

fish\

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

We made a Thai Chicken Red Curry tonight. Not a single bite left.

Thai Curry.jpg

Peter: You're a spy

Harry: I'm not a spy, I'm a shepherd

Peter: Ah! You're a shepherd's pie!

- The Goons

live well, laugh often, love much

Fish'n'chips for supper, with curry sauce and peas.

I saw a recipe in Aug. Bon Apetite - Eggplant fries and thought I'd give it a try. Followed the instructions but made the mistake of drying the "fries" too much before tossing them in the rice flour mixture. The first few ended up without "batter" but still good. The second batch, I added a little soda water to the rice flour mixture to make a batter. The eggplant fries were crispy on the outside and buttery soft inside. The za'tar in the rice flour was nice.

fish\

This all looks fantastic, but the fried fish... would you mind sharing the recipe? I'm a bit of a fried fish junkie, to tell the truth.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

That looks lovely RRO. Can you describe the wasabi leaf taste? If it's anything like I imagine, I suspect they would be great for rolling ingredients in like san choy bow.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog